• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feel so Guilty-Rabbit in Road

Starlight

Warren Veteran
I had a call at 12:40pm from someone who found a rabbit hopping around in the road and had managed to catch him/her. I gave her the numbers of some local rescues.

It was playing on mind as to what happened, so I called 5 minutes ago to see if she had found the rabbit a rescue place, and she said he/she had died a little after she spoke to me :cry:

I keep thinking, if I took him/her in, I may have noticed signs that they were not well and been able to act on that :cry:

Binky free little one x

You can't save them all Kris. You did what you could and you did offer help by pointing her in the right direction.

Chances are, if it was that ill, the journey to you would have killed it anyway, sadly. At least it died in a warm home.

Binky Free Bunny.

Kris there are always going to be more bunnies out there than you can help. If she was ringing around other rescues, then they would have been in the position to monitor and see if there was anything they could do. What if you had taken it? You'd only be in the same situation you were in this time last week with more bunnies than you had accommodation for and can afford to look after/treat. That may help that specific bun in the very short term (although it going to a rescue elsewhere helps it equally as well if not better if they have the space/finance etc), but it's not fair on anyone else who has helped you to pick up the pieces either. I realise that you did say no, which was absolutely the right thing to do in your situation - well done! But please try and stop yourself from thinking like this, because it's a recipe for disaster in the longer term.

The fact that you got a call from someone also suggests to me that your purge of everything StarlightsRabbitRescue related on the internet hasn't quite reached its audience yet ;)

I think it was just the fact that bunny died.
Because you have the horrible what ifs in your head.

Certainly not taking any buns in, but it made me think "what if" I had etc

No, the erasing is still in progress as I got so frustrated yesterday! It is so much harder removing listings than putting them up :shock:

I thought it would be so much simpler :lol:

Well, I am free now until Friday, so I have the week to get the majority off the web!

Kris please take your website down at least, and change your number, then you won't have to hear about these things.

I'd also change your signature and name here, you have to cut all link to rabbit rescue.

googling 'Essex rabbit rescue' brings you up 4 times on the first page. :shock:

I don't envy you I wouldn't know where to start to remove all traces of our rescue from the internet if we where in your position.

:thumb: good luck :)

Just starting renovating the website for boarding only, then need to find out about a domain change as o/h only just paid renewal a few months ago on it :(

Signature and name on here is next!

It is so hard saying no. we were asked to take in 2 special needs NZW last week or they were going to be pts and we had to say no. I did offer to help find them places else where but never heard back :(

It was horrible to have to say no, but at the same time we have made the decision not to take in more rabbits and there is some relief in knowing we are not having to struggle as hard financially or emotionally and over time things will get even easier for it.

So I do understand how hard it is, but Kris you made the decision to close for a reason and to me you neither seem to be closed or have a proper rescue up and running so it must be extra stressful and muddly for you :?

Its not good, but at the end of the day we can't take in any more because it is killing us emotionally ( among other things) so eventually if we carried on taking buns in because we felt guilty if we didn't we would end up in a situation where we were adding to the problem rather than helping it :(

Hard as it is to walk away from these situations we just have to tell ourselves that we can;t be responsible for saving every bunny that come our way. There are always going to be hundreds of rabbits out there that need help. If we had helped these there would have been more next week, it never ends :( So we have to be strong and focus on those we have helped and be happy that we were able to do our bit while we were in a position to help those bunnies that needed it :D

Back