• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peter needs a dental and has a poss ulcer

Foofy

Alpha Buck
My bun Peter would not eat his breakfast on Friday morning and wasn't himself. Made an appointment at vets for late morning. Saw a new young vet I hadn't met before she examined him said he had some spurs on teeth and that was why he wouldn't eat. I disagreed with her and said I thought he had tummy ache and thought this was why he would not eat :roll: first time I have diagreed with a vet! Anyway by the time I took him to the vet he had actually started eating a bit. Vet gave him Metaclopromide to help his gut.
He was then fine when I took him home on Friday and was eating OK but his poos were very dark black looking.
Saturday morning luckily I already had an appointment booked for him to have his VHD (which he now hasn't had) with my usual vet. She examined him and thought the same as me that he stopped eating due to tummy pain and had a much better feel of his tummy and you could tell he was uncomfortable and started grinding his teeth. She also checked his teeth too and confirmed he did have some spurs and ulceration on his tongue. His teeth were only checked 2 weeks ago when he had his myxi (with a different vet) but nothing found then. My vet gave him some fibreplex and gave me the rest to bring home, another metoclopramide injection and some Zantac to give him twice a day. She thinks he may possibly have an ulcer in his tummy maybe caused because he is not chewing his food properly. So I have booked him in for a dental on Wednesday this week. To give him a few days to recover before the GA.

She also said he can't have Metacam when he's on Zantac why would this be? I forgot to ask. Does anyone have experience of similar type problems with their buns? Oh Peter is 4 this year we think possibly older and vet think his teeth spurs are age related. Sorry for long post

My bun Peter would not eat his breakfast on Friday morning and wasn't himself. Made an appointment at vets for late morning. Saw a new young vet I hadn't met before she examined him said he had some spurs on teeth and that was why he wouldn't eat. I disagreed with her and said I thought he had tummy ache and thought this was why he would not eat :roll: first time I have diagreed with a vet! Anyway by the time I took him to the vet he had actually started eating a bit. Vet gave him Metaclopromide to help his gut.
He was then fine when I took him home on Friday and was eating OK but his poos were very dark black looking.
Saturday morning luckily I already had an appointment booked for him to have his VHD (which he now hasn't had) with my usual vet. She examined him and thought the same as me that he stopped eating due to tummy pain and had a much better feel of his tummy and you could tell he was uncomfortable and started grinding his teeth. She also checked his teeth too and confirmed he did have some spurs and ulceration on his tongue. His teeth were only checked 2 weeks ago when he had his myxi (with a different vet) but nothing found then. My vet gave him some fibreplex and gave me the rest to bring home, another metoclopramide injection and some Zantac to give him twice a day. She thinks he may possibly have an ulcer in his tummy maybe caused because he is not chewing his food properly. So I have booked him in for a dental on Wednesday this week. To give him a few days to recover before the GA.

She also said he can't have Metacam when he's on Zantac why would this be? I forgot to ask. Does anyone have experience of similar type problems with their buns? Oh Peter is 4 this year we think possibly older and vet think his teeth spurs are age related. Sorry for long post

Well if the Vet suspected an ulcer in the GI tract then Metacam would be contraindicated. So it is not because of the Zantac that Peter cannot have Metacam but because a Gastric Ulcer may be present.

I do hope that another type of analgesia has been given ?

Well if the Vet suspected an ulcer in the GI tract then Metacam would be contraindicated. So it is not because of the Zantac that Peter cannot have Metacam but because a Gastric Ulcer may be present.

I do hope that another type of analgesia has been given ?

Oh thanks soo much Jane so thats why. No he has not had any analgesia yet. Although he seemed uncomfortable when vet was examing very thoroughly his stomach. When this is not being done he is OK when I got him home yesterday and all day today he has seemed fine has been eating normally and acting normally. It was just for a couple of hours on Friday that he didn't want to eat and was not acting himself. Obviously if he has another occurence of not eating before his dental I will obviously take him straight back to the vets. He will have pain relief with his dental although not Metacam.

Thanks for your help Jane, have you had any experience with Gastric Ulcerwith any of your buns?

Oh thanks soo much Jane so thats why. No he has not had any analgesia yet. Although he seemed uncomfortable when vet was examing very thoroughly his stomach. When this is not being done he is OK when I got him home yesterday and all day today he has seemed fine has been eating normally and acting normally. It was just for a couple of hours on Friday that he didn't want to eat and was not acting himself. Obviously if he has another occurence of not eating before his dental I will obviously take him straight back to the vets. He will have pain relief with his dental although not Metacam.

Thanks for your help Jane, have you had any experience with Gastric Ulcerwith any of your buns?

GI tract ulceration can occur after just a short period of anorexia. The Rabbit GI tract is VERY acidic, so it needs to always have some food in it. Zantac acts to reduce the acidity and also promotes motility in the hindgut. I am glad that Peter seems to be feeling better and I hope all goes well with his Dental :)

Personally I think the first vet was probably right :oops: Given that the second vet saw mouth ulcers, I would suspect that the reason he originally stopped eating was because of mouth pain caused by the dental problem. This in turn would have meant that his tummy became empty, causing tummy pain - but secondary to the initial cause of the problem.

I also hope that he picks up quickly after he has had his dental :)

GI tract ulceration can occur after just a short period of anorexia. The Rabbit GI tract is VERY acidic, so it needs to always have some food in it. Zantac acts to reduce the acidity and also promotes motility in the hindgut. I am glad that Peter seems to be feeling better and I hope all goes well with his Dental :)

Thanks Jane, not sure then if the teeth were the problem then he got the possible ulceration in his tummy due to not eating as he was eating normally on Thursday night but I don't know what time after about 7.30pm Thursday night till 6.30am Friday morning so he could possibly not eaten for quite a few hours.

Will let you know how his dental goes, they are such a worry aren't they? Thanks again :)

My dental bunny was called Peter! ;)

I know you said you wanted to give him time to recover, but if he isn't eating properly, surely you want to get his dental done sooner rather than later?

When my Peter stopped eating, it was usually on a Saturday night or Sunday morning (no idea why!), so we always booked him in for as soon as possible. Waiting just a day caused him to have more ulcers - and sometimes his mouth looked very painful. He used to take atleast two days to start eating properly again after the op.

When my Peter had ulcers on his tongue from the spurrs we were advised to use a cotton bud and the baby equivalent to bonjella (NOT bonjella). We rubbed this on his tongue and it helped to soothe.

After the dental we made sure we had stacked up on his favourite foods and also baby food - he didn't like critical care! Hipp Organic Apple and Pear was his favourite.

Goodluck x

My dental bunny was called Peter! ;)

I know you said you wanted to give him time to recover, but if he isn't eating properly, surely you want to get his dental done sooner rather than later?

When my Peter stopped eating, it was usually on a Saturday night or Sunday morning (no idea why!), so we always booked him in for as soon as possible. Waiting just a day caused him to have more ulcers - and sometimes his mouth looked very painful. He used to take atleast two days to start eating properly again after the op.

When my Peter had ulcers on his tongue from the spurrs we were advised to use a cotton bud and the baby equivalent to bonjella (NOT bonjella). We rubbed this on his tongue and it helped to soothe.

After the dental we made sure we had stacked up on his favourite foods and also baby food - he didn't like critical care! Hipp Organic Apple and Pear was his favourite.

Goodluck x

Thanks for your reply Tanya, this is the first time my Peter has had any dental troubles although I have had a bunny with lots of tooth trouble before unfortunately :(
I am not convinced still that the not eating on Friday morning was down to Peters teeth or mouth as since late Friday morning he has been eating and acting absolutely normally for him, which is great news :) I saw his tongue yesterday when he was having a drink and it also looked normal well as much as I could see anyway.
I have already stacked up on Peter's favourite foods and apple & pear baby food just in case it's difficult to get him eating again after his dental or before for that matter. All my buns have never liked the critical care either but would rather have the Hipp baby food.
Will report back how he gets on with the dental, thanks again :wave:

Back