• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I don't think I can forgive cousin and her OH dumping their rabbits in a park in Oz.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
I knew my cousin had 2 mini lop ears. My mum would update me, as they live in Australia. About 3 or 4 years ago they spent thousands on treatments, I can't remember what was wrong, some floppy bunny syndrome or something.

When I went back to Oz mid 2009 my cousins OH who knows I am an animal mad person, told me they got fed up with them not using a litter tray and spending time having to put them back in their hutch at night.

They got the bunnies for their 2 young children.

He said none of the rescues could take them as they were full so he released them in a park.

I was mortified. This guy is loaded, seriously wealthy, he could have paid someone to re-home them. Have no idea what they told the kids.

I have never felt the same about my cousin or her husband since.
Would you be able to forgive them ?

Aww - thats soo sad. I hope they didnt come to a grizzly end!! :shock:

I know. They are in the inner suburbs so not likely to be many foxes. I only hope someone found them and rescued them. I also worried they could have starved or died of fright.

If I was there at the time I would have taken them. I can't believe no-one else in our family took them, we have a huge family.

Isnt that like really illegal in Aus? I thought they had extremely strict laws regarding these things?

Yeah I wouldnt feel the same either, would be mortified.

Isnt that like really illegal in Aus? I thought they had extremely strict laws regarding these things?

I am not sure. They were neutered, well at least the little male was. As domesticated rabbits who had been family pets for 3 years or so they wouldn't stand a chance of surviving on their own. It is an image that haunts me, even though I don't know what they looked like. My mum said they were small bunnies. Mini lops.

My aunt has free range buns in her garden, they all breed with each other and get eaten by foxes and twice the entire 'warren' have been wiped out by myxomatosis.. Now she's looking to get more buns :evil: Makes me :censored: sick.

ETA: They are domestics, not wildies.

I knew my cousin had 2 mini lop ears. My mum would update me, as they live in Australia. About 3 or 4 years ago they spent thousands on treatments, I can't remember what was wrong, some floppy bunny syndrome or something.

When I went back to Oz mid 2009 my cousins OH who knows I am an animal mad person, told me they got fed up with them not using a litter tray and spending time having to put them back in their hutch at night.

They got the bunnies for their 2 young children.

He said none of the rescues could take them as they were full so he released them in a park.

I was mortified. This guy is loaded, seriously wealthy, he could have paid someone to re-home them. Have no idea what they told the kids.

I have never felt the same about my cousin or her husband since.
Would you be able to forgive them ?

I honestly wouldnt speak to them again if that was true

:evil:No Id be furious...and have to say that they were uncaring in how these bunnnies would have survived....how aweful:cry:

My mum always taught me never to trust people that don't like animals. She never did, but my aunt didnt either. Mum always have to pay for their vets fees. No wonder most of my aunts animals disappeared. Cats and dogs. Bet they went to get a better home. As to my cousin, I don't speak to her. Now she is so well off and buying properties all over the world, I have no time for her and the attitude. Ironically she is unhappy.

Where was this in Australia? I know the rescues and if you can give me a description I can look for them in rescue.

i cant understand what prompts a person to dump an animal :cry: one thing for sure if i knew anyone who dumped any animal and not just buns they wouldnt be in my life any longer.

Wow, the things that people do :shock:

My Badger, who was found in a park, having been released and attacked by other animals, found and handed in, I could not forgive them. My poor llittle boy would be dead now if not for a kind chap.

Depending on what state they are in having the bunnies in the first place might be illegal.

Poor little buns :( I don't think that there are any foxes in Australia at least not in the cities and suburbs? I have never seen any and I am from there.

Where was this in Australia? I know the rescues and if you can give me a description I can look for them in rescue.

Sydney, they live in Double Bay. It was around there.

It was 2 years ago. I was told in May 2009. I think it was a month or so before then. I didn't want the details.

I know it was a long time ago, but I still keep thinking about it, everytime their names are mentioned.

I haven't had any contact with them in over 18 months. I don't send emails and they are not on my fb. They have been in the UK twice in the last year buying a bloody penthouse. I have not contacted them.

Back