• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden death - no signs - vaccinated for VHD

fairlybeloved

Young Bun
Unfortunately I found my beuatiful british giant buck dead this morning. I can;t understand what I could have done wrong. He's only just past 1 year old, he has all his Myxo & VHD injections up to date, neutered at the earliest opportunity, feed only the right things with a constant supply of the best hay (dust-free). He was bonded with his sister and another neutered Netherland Dwarf male (who both seem to be fine after a thorough check).

I don't want to give too much detail, but I did notice that his 3rd eyelid was swollen & red when I found him this morning. I'm struggling to find anything that suggests what this is.

Does anyone have any ideas what may have caused him to pass on? I intend to have the other two checked by a vet, but I don't think this has been any form of disease as such.

It's just odd that he seemed otherwise healthy until I found him today.

We run a rescue service, and it's really disheartening to know the neglect other rabbits suffer before they come our way, and yet survive. And here I am giving the best possible care to a much loved bunny and I lose such a wonderful family pet without warning. I know it's awful to think that way, but.....

Anyway, any ideas/suggestions? I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong

I'm so sorry for your loss You must be devastated. :cry: I really don't know what could have been wrong. Bunnies can still get myxi when they have had their injection, they just have a better chance of fighting it. Maybe he had myxi if he had a swollen eyelid? :(

I'm really sorry for your loss. There are a lot of things that can cause a rabbit to die under the circumstances you're describing, so we ccan't and shouldn't speculate. The only way to get more facts would be for you to have a post mortem done on your bunny.

I would think that it might have been cardiac related. Giant breeds are prone to Heart problems.

Really without a PM it is impossible to say why he died so suddenly, for which I send my condolences :cry:

Other possible causes of sudden death are acute bloat/GI obstruction, acute pneumonia, Liver lobe torsion amongst quite a few other things.

Again, I am really sorry for your loss :cry:

As has been said above, there are many possible causes of sudden death, it could have been a heart attack which I believe are more common in giant breeds or it could have been an underlying illness such as acute bloat which can come on very suddenly.
I am very sorry for your loss, all we can do it hope that the end was quick and pain free for him.
Rest in peace big young bun xx

Vet not comfortable doing any checks or post-mortem on Phantom - basically said it would be inconclusive!

The other two are booked in for later for a check over. They are still LOOKING and behaving perfectly ok.

Folks,

Bumping this thread to see if any of you can offer advice. Phantom's sister, Starlight, is now suffering from a swollen 3rd eyelid. It looks very like the ones that Phantom had when I found him dead, but thankfully Starlight is surviving - just! Unlike Phantom she only seems to have swelling in one eye.

She's been at the vet the past three days as the eye lid has been getting worse. The vets have advised that they've never seen anything quite like it and not sure how to treat it. She's on

Until yesterday, she was otherwise perfectly fine except for the swelling, but today she's gone off her food completely and is just not herself one bit. As the day has progressed the eyelid has swollen and is now almost covering her eye completely.

I'm syringe feeding her with Supreme Science "Recovery" as she's just not interested in eating otherwise. She's also on Maxitril eyedrops twice a day, Baytril twice a day, Zantac syrup twice a day.

But what is it she's actually got?!?! Any experienced British Giant owners come across something like this before?!?

I've tried taking photos but they're not very clear - will post something as soon as I get a clear enough picture.

Can your vets make an urgent referral to an exotics vet for advice? :wave:

A prominent 3rd eyelid can be significant of many diseases and as Jane has said cardiac problems are not uncommon in the Giant breed.

I hope your bun pulls through xx

My vets, to be honest, don't seem to be very keen to work out what's going on here - I had to request specifically that they checked her teeth properly to make sure there wasn't a problem there causing a reaction in the eye. Since then though it is very definately just the 3rd eyelid, you can see her eye (just) and there are no issues there.

Thinking of going to one of our other practices for a second opinion.

I would definatly seek a second opinion. Also make sure the vet is rabbit savvy. Many vets are not experienced with small animals so its important you find one that is

I know, yes. We currently have 3 or 4 different practices we deal with for different things as part of our rescue service, so I do make sure they know what they're doing. I only deal with rabbit savvy vets, and these guys know they're stuff.

But here, we're talking about my pet, and I expect different treatment ;o)

I have not yet found a vet in our area that has ever experienced giant breeds - not true giant breeds anyway. I definately think this thing in the 3rd eyelid is something the giants are more susceptible to, and the vets just don't get it!

Anyone know of a Scottish vet who knows giants? I am prepared to travel within reason if it means I'll get someone with a bit of experience!

I have just come back from taking Starlight to a Companion Care Vet Practice - my first experience there. I wanted to go somewhere for a second opinion.

I should point out, I had already changed practice when my original vet had been so lacking in help when I found Phantom.

I cannot thank/praise the vets at Companion Care enough. Immediately she performed the most thorough examination I've seen, and as a result was convinced that the issue was a growth, tumour or absess behind the eye. She could tell me straight away that the reaction of pressure on the eye can often be reflected in the 3rd eyelid even though that's not the source of the problem, and she said especially so in giant breeds cause they have such a prominent 3rd eyelid.

She offered an x-ray to confirm, and despite the horrendous charge (to be fair it's the sedation that's the costly bit) I jumped at the chance to get some actual proof of what was causing the problem.

Unfortunately, the x-ray did prove our worst fears that there was indeed a sizeable mass behind her eye. On discussing options the vet was quite confident that there was little to no chance of success rate in any remedial action, and the kindest thing would be to have Starlight pts.

Sadly we lost our best rabbit tonight, and I will sorely miss her, but I was happier sitting with her as she passed knowing, finally, what was at the route of the problem and feeling like I had been given a full & proper consultation on her health.

I always avoided Companion Care, as I'm not usually impressed by the larger corporate bodies, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back now. Highly recommended! Word of caution though - it is a franchise, so should be treated as any independent vet before selecting them as your rabbit's vet as not every branch is necessarily as throrough!

I'm so sorry you lost your bunny today :(

I have heard good things about our local Companion Care too - it really does depend on the vets they have doesn't it, like any other place.

I just want to say Im so sorry for your loss.I have continental giants and have lost four of them to abscess related illnesses,They have all been found to carry the staphylococcus bacteria which has resulted in abscesses in their paws,ears and stomach.I honestly think there is an immune deficiency in these giant bunnies which is contagious,mine where all free range.I have tried every where to get help for my beautiful babies and no one seems to have an answer/cure :cry::cry:

Back