• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Type Identification ??

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone know what type of hay this might be ?

042-8.jpg

It is VERY popular with everyBun !!

It looks like meadow hay with random weed stalks in it; I put some very similar to that in with D&M this morning and Dudley started pulling those enormous crunchy bits out first. No idea what they are though - dried thistle, maybe? Edit: no, can't be thistle, that doesn't fork out like that, does it.

Last edited:
It looks like meadow hay with random weed stalks in it; I put some very similar to that in with D&M this morning and Dudley started pulling those enormous crunchy bits out first. No idea what they are though - dried thistle, maybe? Edit: no, can't be thistle, that doesn't fork out like that, does it.

Yes, it is def the long stalky bits that they all go for first. Mucho chasing goes on with one Bun firmly hanging on to their find !! :lol:

Then we have what looks like the spaghetti eating scene from Lady and the Tamp, with one Bun latched on to opposite ends of the stalk, munching away and bumping noses as they meet up !! :lol:

Yes, it is def the long stalky bits that they all go for first. Mucho chasing goes on with one Bun firmly hanging on to their find !! :lol:

Then we have what looks like the spaghetti eating scene from Lady and the Tamp, with one Bun latched on to opposite ends of the stalk, munching away and bumping noses as they meet up !! :lol:

:wave::lol: We get this too! And then they statr tugging and running when they realise there is only a little bit left. :lol:

Glad to hear its cheaper :) Cheaper and better is awesome!

I am absolutely clueless with anything horticultural so I would not know Cow Parsley from Cow Poop !! :oops:

These bales are classified as 'Best Hay' by the Farm I buy from, usually I go for the top of the range 'Superior Hay'. But at almost £9 a bale now I was struggling to afford the 3 bales we get through every week.

The Best Hay is £7.97 a bale, not much cheaper but every penny saved helps !!

£3 a week is £150 a year which is lots of vaccinations!

Edit: look I found an old photo of Benji, one of the Gloucester 61, enjoying it too :lol:

benji.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. I pull those thick weed stalks out since I don't know exactly what they are.

Wish I could get some hay like that. My latest bale is horrible dry stringy stuff. :?

Ahhh, you used to get these bits in the dust free hay a while ago. Kermit used to go crazy for them :)
No idea what they are tho!

:wave:Looks like Meadow Hay..
Ooh £9 a bale:shock::shock:
I get it for my horse.. (and bring it home for buns)..really good quality .. £3 per bale.

Glad I spotted this thread I have been madly pulling all of those bits out just in case they were harmful :roll: This last bale i have is rubbish and at £10 a go I was not impressed but if the buns can eat those bits then it doesn't really matter!

I pay £7 a bale now for the farm shops best hay bales they sell, it only used to be £5 a bale last year :( but my bunnies love it, but I must admit if I see any of those really big stalks I take them out as I thought they wouldn't possibly like them :? but maybe I will leave them in in future :)

My hay is £7 a bale now :shock: It's like gas, always goes up, never goes down.

This bale is lovely and stalky though, the buns love it. The last was green and soft and while they still ate it they love this bale much more.

Glad I spotted this thread I have been madly pulling all of those bits out just in case they were harmful :roll: This last bale i have is rubbish and at £10 a go I was not impressed but if the buns can eat those bits then it doesn't really matter!

:shock::shock::shock: That's a ridiculous price!!!

The regular size bales round here have been around £5.80 - £6.50 but I have been lucky to secure half ton giant bales for £35 each!

Me too :lol:

The stalky things in my hay bales look exactly the same as in Jane's photo, so I'll start leaving them in from now on. I know the buns like them as they'll dive straight for any that I've missed and they end up very disappointed when I confiscate them.

Back