• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could spring fever cause food aggression?

weeble

Albert and Evie have always got excited at food time they circle and munch the minute its down but recently Evie has started lunging at both me and Albert and has bitten me twice by mistake (she was very sorry afterwards). Once she has her food she is fine - you can even take if off her without any probs (not that I do) its just the initial giving. Any ideas?

I think it can. It can make 'vulnerable' areas for the rabbits, show themselves more readily.

My loppy trio have just started to look like they may scrap at food times only and I'm sure that's caused by spring fever.

I think it does. Our two normally share but last few days Milo has got very defensive of his hay and lunges at Lola - they just have hay spread out a bit more and it keeps them happy.

Do you scatter feed or feed from a bowl ?

Scatter feeding tends to work better if food aggression becomes an issue.

If this is a new problem then it might be worth getting her checked over for any physical problems, especially Dental issues. A Bun who is developing Dental problems can become food aggressive as they realise they eat more slowly than their partner so they want to try to make sure that they get their fare share.

I definatly think it can. My Timmy has always chased Mimi away etc when Ive been prepping their food, but recently its got alot worse. I have to sit and watch them at veggie time coz if she steals something from his mouth :roll: he grunts, lunges and nips and Im worried a fight might break out.
Hes usually such a sweetheart so Im putting it down to Spring Fever :wave:

Do you scatter feed or feed from a bowl ?

Scatter feeding tends to work better if food aggression becomes an issue.

If this is a new problem then it might be worth getting her checked over for any physical problems, especially Dental issues. A Bun who is developing Dental problems can become food aggressive as they realise they eat more slowly than their partner so they want to try to make sure that they get their fare share.
I scatter veg and use a bowl for pellets. She eats everything much faster than Albert so dont think its that. Im wondering if its a doe thing Bella and Chloe have always done it a bit but have got worse recently anyone would think I dont feed them :roll:

Back