• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friend's rabbit - advice needed!

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
My friend noticed her rabbit was quiet/not eating, so took him to the vet. Vet found he'd lost weight and put him on lapizole and treated for coccidiosis as a precaution, and also gave septrum. This was on Friday. Bun started eating voluntarily on Saturday (had been syringe-fed Friday) but all he would touch was carrot/greens/watercress, which I told my friend was better than nothing but a bit risky/unbalanced, as the bun wasn't eating hay. She's just rang me to say that the bun is still quiet this morning and is now eating hay but refusing greens/water cress. She's worried that he's refusing foods he did accept yesterday but on the other hand hay is better than the greens etc.

Vet said to take bun back if he seemed worse, which he doesn't, but also warned he wouldn't be running around overnight, ie not to expect an instant recovery. Is there anything I can tell my friend to reassure her? What is the significance of the bun eating hay but less keen on greens? He will still eat carrot but I've told her only to give in small quantities. :? My friend isn't very bunny-savvy, hence the phone calls, but her vet is, thankfully...

has she had bun a while are is bun new/has anything changed I wonder?
When we got Angel she wouldn't eat for weeks. She would now and then have few bits of something so I would rush out buy bag fulls for her not to eat anymore of that. It got to the point where she looked worse than when she was rescued it took about 6 weeks for her to start eating normally which after everything our vet just put down to stress of new home etc.
As long as buns eating something and just allow bun to eat anything it wants to get weight on that way if there is under lying isssues buns fit enough to be knocked out and checked.

I think she's had him a couple of months. She was mainly worried because the bun was keen for greens the day before but then refused them today. I said it's probably a good sign he's eating hay instead - maybe there was something going on digestion-wise bun needs to correct and he's feeling better now the meds are kicking in :?

I think he was drinking a bit but maybe not that much - perhaps that was it, and perhaps today he is more hydrated so can cope with hay....

Back