• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stroppy bunny -what do you do?

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
My bun always gives me "the order of the bum" after meds. He's definately not impressed by my behaviour & making a big point! He doesn't go for food at all.
Just realised that I've done it for ages now. I get on the floor & tickle his tail forcing him to turn round (= make it up) & give him lots of stroking.

I wondered what you folks do when your bun gets the strops?

I normally get lunged at by Lily, so I give her a carrot drop.Shes cheap to buy off!!:lol::lol::lol:
and as long as she can go back to snuggling with her brother, she gets over it quick.Bless her.So much to put up with in her 2 years.

:lol:

If I have to give Clover a syringe feed or oral meds he takes it out on the fleece we wrap him in by clawing it and tearing holes in it :lol:

I dunno. Sometimes I try to imitate them, they confuses them :lol: Sometimes I do as you describe.

:lol:

If I have to give Clover a syringe feed or oral meds he takes it out on the fleece we wrap him in by clawing it and tearing holes in it :lol:

Yes Thumps can have those too, I call them "mega strops". They're pretty much reserved for just having been examined by the vet. & he has a dig & bite at the bedding in his carrier. He rarely gets a mega strop at home now, but thankfully always goes to his carrier to get it off his chest. :lol:

He can inflict awesome damage with teeth & claws. I'm soooo touched by the self control he has with humans! :love:

If I get 'the bum' from Grim I sort of lay over him with my head on his head and give him cheek strokes and cuddles. :)

Your "order of the bum" - I call that "talk to the tail":lol::lol::lol: I tend to stroke and fuss them and they turn round and be wabby again. If its been something a bit unnerving for them like me hoovering the floors then I give them a little treat each for "being brave bunnies helping mommy".:lol::love:

Your "order of the bum" - I call that "talk to the tail":lol::lol::lol: I tend to stroke and fuss them and they turn round and be wabby again. If its been something a bit unnerving for them like me hoovering the floors then I give them a little treat each for "being brave bunnies helping mommy".:lol::love:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I like your name for it too.:lol::lol::lol: Much better.:)
I don't really notice his tail - it's the HUGE back, & I even get the back of the ears. I guess I'm trying to say,"OK I get your point, I know it's not very nice, but come on, it's not THAT bad".
I've just realised that he's willing to conceed too. :) Heaven help me the day when I tickle his tail & he just hops away! :shock:

Ignore her. Give it five minutes and she comes looking for cuddles. Honestly, if I tried making it up with madam here every time she went into a strop, we'd be here forever. :lol:

Ignore her. Give it five minutes and she comes looking for cuddles. Honestly, if I tried making it up with madam here every time she went into a strop, we'd be here forever. :lol:

:lol::lol:

Sometimes if I have no idea why they are being stroppy I just ignore the Tail and pretend to be doing something making noises. This gets EVERY TIME :lol: They can't help turning around to nose and see whats happening:love::love:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Love it. You all know your buns so well, & they're all so different! Great replies.

Well when Poppy gets cross she thumps...and sometimes even flicks her back feet at me, this could be if I have been away for a day or so, walked past without saying hello, or gone to get something out the room without saying hello..anyway I started to notice a patten, if, after she thumps I start stroking another bun, usually Gussy, she hops over to her little tray, gets a face full of hay (it all gets stuck in her fur as she's a lionhead) then hops back and sits there looking at me. I am then obliged to pick all the hay out, which I take as her forgiving me..very strange bunny is Poppy :roll:

:lol::lol:

Sometimes if I have no idea why they are being stroppy I just ignore the Tail and pretend to be doing something making noises. This gets EVERY TIME :lol: They can't help turning around to nose and see whats happening:love::love:

I go and open the fridge. She can be in the next room sulking under the bed, but the minute the door opens she's through like a shot sticking her nose in. :roll:

Oscar when he has a strop grabs whatever is closest and hurls it around. If I get in the way I end up with golf ball size bruises. His cage gets shaken to the core. But he gets told off & ignored until he comes over and is nice.

I do different things.... Rimmi is a very stroppy bunny!!

Sometimes, I cant help myself, and I have to snuggle him!! He usually will still accept strokes on the head, but often he has to be ignored..... this is usually when he is in his very vocal grump and lunge mood. I have no idea what brings it on, hes just full of attitude!! :shock:

Well when Poppy gets cross she thumps...and sometimes even flicks her back feet at me, this could be if I have been away for a day or so, walked past without saying hello, or gone to get something out the room without saying hello..anyway I started to notice a patten, if, after she thumps I start stroking another bun, usually Gussy, she hops over to her little tray, gets a face full of hay (it all gets stuck in her fur as she's a lionhead) then hops back and sits there looking at me. I am then obliged to pick all the hay out, which I take as her forgiving me..very strange bunny is Poppy :roll:

1st. I'm NOT a rabbit behaviourist although fascinated by wildies. But this has me in stitches because I know that Thumper's pretty good at manipulation in certain areas. Does it make any sense that Poppy wants some appeasement (Grooming) from you for "lack of respect", & forces you to give it by getting hay in her face :lol::lol:?

When Thumper reached adolescence, & we were sorting out our relationship he soon got the message not to get physical cos I'd make him do a rabbit submission (so humiliating I reserved it for aggression only). Within 2 weeks he'd worked out how to play a psychological game of "let's you & me fight", & could even get me into a double bind of "heads I win, tails you lose".
I used to think, "Heck I've got a science degree with some basic psychology & a bloomin' rabbit's got me stretched" :shock::oops::oops::oops:
Fortunately we both settled down being "straight" with each other & got along great thereafter.:D

1st. I'm NOT a rabbit behaviourist although fascinated by wildies. But this has me in stitches because I know that Thumper's pretty good at manipulation in certain areas. Does it make any sense that Poppy wants some appeasement (Grooming) from you for "lack of respect", & forces you to give it by getting hay in her face :lol::lol:?

When Thumper reached adolescence, & we were sorting out our relationship he soon got the message not to get physical cos I'd make him do a rabbit submission (so humiliating I reserved it for aggression only). Within 2 weeks he'd worked out how to play a psychological game of "let's you & me fight", & could even get me into a double bind of "heads I win, tails you lose".
I used to think, "Heck I've got a science degree with some basic psychology & a bloomin' rabbit's got me stretched" :shock::oops::oops::oops:
Fortunately we both settled down being "straight" with each other & got along great thereafter.:D
:lol::lol::lol:
When Cinny does this, she flicks her feetsies and straw goes flying into my face..:roll:
So its quite obvious she's miffed! But as soon as the muggle puggle shmuggle voices come on, she's right beside you again!:lol:

I have nicknamed one of mine "the grumpus" if he doesn't get what he wants he thumps a lot or lunges at my feet. I tend to ignore him and go and fuss his wifebun for a bit, he soon comes over to see what I am doing and gets his bit of fuss too and all is forgotten (by him, not by the bruise on my leg where his fat head has rammed into it :roll:)

Yes it makes perfect sense, she'll just stand there with this grumpy face on until I remove all the hay :roll:
When they were a trio it was quite difficult as Poppy get feeling the need to assert herself as boss, I started making sure I always stroked her first, gave her food first etc and it did help. She is such a strange little bunny, as sometimes she gets so scared of something and her scared thump is different from her annoyed thump, when she scared she runs up to me for reassurance :love:

Back