• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone know of a rescue that would allow exercising without a run?

Alicia

Mama Doe
My Mum is being so annoying. I found a perfect rabbit (not through rescue) that I was going to get, and Mum said it was fine for me to get him but she has now decided that we have to get a pair from a rescue. I told her rescues won't rehome to us because our run is too small (and she won't let me buy another one) and she said that we could bunny proof the garden and let them hop around there when we are around. It annoys me because this is my money that I'm spending on these rabbits and she won't let me get a new run that would be big enough. Does anyone know a rescue in Surrey (she also won't travel far to get the rabbit - she just likes making things difficult.) or West Sussex/Hampshire area that would rehome to someone who could exercise the rabbits in an unheated room or free ranging (supervised) in a rabbit proof garden? I know it's unlikely but Mum has decided we have to get 2 from a rescue center and has convinced herself that we will be able to. I just wanted to see if it would be possible, though I don't think I'd be able to :(

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be a rescue where you could adopt from :wave: It sounds good to me if your rabbits could exercise in a unheated room or free range whilst under supervision :) Where was you going to get your rabbits from? Rescues are great to get rabbits from, the rabbits come already bonded (if you got a pair), neutered/spayed, already vaccinated (although boosters are needed) and you are helping one or two of the many buns in rescues :wave: I hope some one can help you with a rescue, sorry I don't know anything about your area, but wanted to say don't get your hopes down, I'm sure you'd make a good bunny mum for a rescue bun or two :) xx

I haven't bought the hutch yet, but I'm getting a Happy Hutch 6ft x 2ft x 2ft, and the run is 6ft long and I don't know how high (I'll need to measure it tommorow) but I know it isn't high enough :(

Could you extend our current run rather than buying a new one so it's just a 'makeover' before getting the bunnies rather than getting something new ;)

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be a rescue where you could adopt from :wave: It sounds good to me if your rabbits could exercise in a unheated room or free range whilst under supervision :) Where was you going to get your rabbits from? Rescues are great to get rabbits from, the rabbits come already bonded (if you got a pair), neutered/spayed, already vaccinated (although boosters are needed) and you are helping one or two of the many buns in rescues :wave: I hope some one can help you with a rescue, sorry I don't know anything about your area, but wanted to say don't get your hopes down, I'm sure you'd make a good bunny mum for a rescue bun :) xx

Thank you :) I was going to get my rabbit from a lady I know that is looking to rehome her mini lop.

If it's height rather than length then I should think they'll be more flexible if you pick smaller bunnies. If you wanted to make it higher then adding a board around the bottom (to keep any hay inside) will raise it ;)

If it's height rather than length then I should think they'll be more flexible if you pick smaller bunnies. If you wanted to make it higher then adding a board around the bottom (to keep any hay inside) will raise it ;)

yeah, height doesn't matter very much if you get small rabbits. my nethies can probably barely stretch up and touch something that is 2 ft high.

The run I have is this (sorry about Billy in the corner :lol: )
run-3-1.jpg

They would only have to go in this (with access to their hutch) whilst I am not around. When I am at home they can be either in the garden or in the unheated utility room.

I was looking after some netherland dwarfs over Christmas and they were in the garage in their hutch but whilst I was cleaning out the hutch I put them in this run and they seemed ok in it, so maybe if, as you said, I get 2 small bunnies then it would be ok.

Thank you so much for all your help :) I've spoken to a rescue and my Mum and I might be able to get a pair from Furry Friends! I'm still not totally sure but they say the way I plan to exercise the rabbits would be ok so I really hope I can get some. But they have so many bunnies.. how to choose? :lol:

I think the run looks high enough. I would expect at least 50 cms height for the smallest rabbits, and 60 cms for medium sized ones. The more important thing is that the run is securely attached to the hutch, so that no dog or fox can pull it away, and that it is on paving slabs, so that no dog or fox can dig in or bunnies dig out.

Supervised free ranging in the garden is ok, but it has to be supervised all the time, it only takes a minute of you going in to answer the phone or go to the loo, and a fox climbs over the fence and gets your bunnies. Or goes into your house, if a window is left open. You also have to make sure there are no poisonous plants or other hazards anywhere in the garden or the room. That means you will have to check the whole garden every time before you let them run around, because mushrooms can sprout within less than a day, and poisonous leaves can get blown in from a neighbour's garden.

And then there's the problem of getting them back into the hutch. :lol:

I've found a great getting them back into the hutch technique. Bribery :lol: And negotiation. "I'll give you this nice big pile of veggies if you'll go back in your hutch?" :lol:

They will definetly be supervised all the time. There is also chicken wire all round the bottom of the fences to stop the bunnies digging out and we're going to put some on the bottom of the gate too. Should I get small breed rabbits because of the run being smaller?

I would measure the run and get the exact figures. The thing is that even small bunnies can binky quite high sometimes, and they love to stretch upwards on the sides of the run, so most rescues will want 60cms minimum height. It's also nice to give them some boxes or plastic stool to sit on. Mine love that and spend a lot of time on top of their wooden "house". It's good to have those extra inches of headroom.

I think you should talk to your nearest rescues and ask them what they expect and whether they have any good ideas for you. :)

Thank you :) I have spoken to Furry Friends Rescue and they are quite happy for me to exercise them in the garden supervised, and when it rains they can come into the utility room which is unheated and exercise in there. I was going to get some boxes, and little children's steps for the rabbits to jump on and off. I thought I should only get small rabbits because of the run being a bit smaller but I've found some medium sized rabbits that I love, typical :lol: Their hutch will also be quite big so I could put some things for them to jump on and off inside the hutch

Back