• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to prevent Dental Disease.

whitehood

Warren Veteran
I want to find ways to prevent Dentals from even happening!
And Can someone give a brief description of what it is. For someone who might not know what it is.

It takes a lot of forms and others will be on who know much more than me, but I think the problems can be environmental (eg from insufficient hay) infection (eg an abscess forming) and also genetic, which is why it's important to prevent problems caused by in-breeding etc.

Rabbits need constant hay, both for digestion and keeping their teeth in trim - others will be along soon to add much more though :wave:

It takes a lot of forms and others will be on who know much more than me, but I think the problems can be environmental (eg from insufficient hay) infection (eg an abscess forming) and also genetic, which is why it's important to prevent problems caused by in-breeding etc.

Rabbits need constant hay, both for digestion and keeping their teeth in trim - others will be along soon to add much more though :wave:

^^This. If you have a bun that genetically has poor teeth then there's not a lot you can do to change it. However, if the teeth issues are caused by diet then there is stuff you can do such as feeding a very small amount or even no pellets to encourage hay eating being careful to ensure the rabbit is maintaining a healthy weight as some can't cope with a no-pellet diet.

Do you have to feed hay? Cant you feed grass?

You can just feed grass but is unlikely that you will be able to provide enough grass for the rabbit to have access to sufficient quantities 24/7. There is barely anything growing in my garden at the monet so they are munching on hay throughout the day.

I have lots of grass growing in my garden. Which they munch from morning until when they are put in their hutches at night.
Even then do they have to have hay?

I have lots of grass growing in my garden. Which they munch from morning until when they are put in their hutches at night.

Yes, for that time when they don't have access to grass- then they need hay.

Yes. Rabbits need to have access to hay or grass 24/7. They must be able to eat 24 hours a day in order to keep their guts moving. :wave:

Thanks,
Rabbits don't like hay that they've tramped on right?
So is it recommended to have that hay holder thing on the mesh?

Surely there will be days when it will be too wet for them to eat the grass, and in the summer grass often gets a bit dry and stubbly if we have a prolonged heatwave! I have to admit, my rabbit doesn't eat nearly enough hay, but he's getting better. Spenser doesn't mind tramped on hay, and will not eat it from a hay-manger but I think that's quite unusual.

I have to admit I thought hay is not needed when you have grass.
But when they come back from bonding, I will have a big bag of hay waiting for them :D
Hay can't get outdated right??

Thanks,
Rabbits don't like hay that they've tramped on right?
So is it recommended to have that hay holder thing on the mesh?

I use various things for keeping hay in. I use underbed storage boxes as litter trays which I line with newspaper them put a generous amount of hay on top. I find that they sit in those munching hay. I change these daily so they don't have to eat soiled hay. I also have hay in hanging baskets hanging up in their kennel above their litter trays so they have the choice to eat from these instead.

Most of the commercially available hay racks are just too small so hanging baskets of either the traditional type or the half sized wall mounted ones are much better.

Last edited:
I use various things for keeping hay in. I use underned storage boxes as litter trays which I line with newspaper them put a generous amount of hay on top. I find that they sit in those munching hay. I change these daily so they don't have to eat soiled hay. I also have hay in hanging baskets hanging up in their kennel above their litter trays so they have the choice to eat from these instead.

Most of the commercially available hay racks are just too small so hanging baskets of either the traditional type or the half sized wall mounted ones are much better.
Thanks

Hay can't get outdated right??

No. Hay is made at only one time of the year so it is stored for the whole of the year before more is available. I buy mine in bals from a farm and this works out cheapest for me at £5 a bale. I go through quite a lot and a bale lasts me a good month or so.

Back