• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've staged an intervention...

Candiflare

Mama Doe
A friend of mine adopted some buns from a local rescue about 6 months ago... they're middle class (not lacking for money) and have the best intentions in the world, but they aren't vaccing, speying or giving the bun's hay... For some reason, they think that straw is hay... :roll:

I've broached it with the Mum a couple of times (they're actually the girl's bunnies, but the mum buys the stuff and cleans them out) but she stubbornly insists that she grew up on a farm and "knows how to keep rabbits" etc etc.. ANYWAY.

They went away this weekend and I got permission from her husband to come and see the buns today (he doesn't give a **** about them, so was just like "yes yes") and I cleaned them out, made them a new bed up with hay and bought them a bale of hay, and have just sent her a text telling her what I've done...

I'm waiting for an almighty **** storm to hit me...

Last edited:
TBH, it doesn't matter what she gonna say. You've done the rabbits good, given them some protection.:D Just ignore her when she starts getting annoyed/moaning.:)

Well done for having the guts to do that. You have done the right thing for the bunnies so ignore her if/when she gets upset.

It was very kind of you to do that, and I think she will see that when she sees how much happier they will be now they've got hay and they can be happy knowing that their rabbits are vaccinated against myxi. I know that if my rabbit wasn't vaccinated or eating the right thing I'd be worried about it.

Well done! That is a really brave thing to do but hopefully she will now be able to see the difference between hay and straw. I can't believe she grew up on a farm and doesn't know that! :?

helping the rabbits is great..and cleaning them out and supplying hay wonderful
Be careful re vacs..as much as I believe all animals should be vacs.....you are treading on grey legal ground in getting her animals injected without permission:?

helping the rabbits is great..and cleaning them out and supplying hay wonderful
Be careful re vacs..as much as I believe all animals should be vacs.....you are treading on grey legal ground in getting her animals injected without permission:?

Yep I know... It's such a tricky one. You know what things are like in middle-class ville. You get these rich families who keep rabbits who have no value for their lives and just can't be bothered to spend their money on them. Any sign from anyone that they are being slightly neglectful of them and it's grounds for being highly offended. People who live in nice houses, with nice gardens and with a social reputation don't take well AT ALL to being told that they are not doing something the right way and what they're doing is verging on neglect...

That's very brave of you, well done for doing it, some people can get funny when people interfere so I really do hope that she is ok with it. Let us know what she says, fingers crossed that she is and continues with the vacs and hay.

Can that not be defended by you saying that you are providing essential veterinary treatment which the animal welfare act says you must provide :wave: . A bit of a stetch of what the statement is there for but to those not in the know it may work.

I'm not so much worried about the legal side of it, but more to do with what it'll do to my reputation as a "meddler" in the village... we're a very small community and group of friends, and she could very easily turn people against me as someone who "interferes." The village is also very "country" as we have a strong hunt community and they react very badly to the idea of "antis" living in the village.

She has called me - hasn't seen what I've done yet, but has read what I wrote her.

She was very, very off with me and says she finds "my interest in her business" very weird, but it wasn't the awful reaction I thought...

We'll see what she thinks when she fully comes home...

I think it's commendable what your intentions are but, it's a bit further than I would have gone; not the cleaning & hay, nail clipping even but, taking for vacs - I would have been worried about adverse reactions personally.
I would have done the cleaning, donated hay & food & left some leaflets but, probably would have talked her into doing it while she was there rather than away with the help of a big cake. I hope she'll be understanding that your heart is in the right place. Sadly you can lead a horse to water but, you can't make it drink - I'm not sure it's great for rabbits to get a taste of how it should be & then go back to how it was before they could go into stasis or something if they get depressed.

Are they all the same sex, how many is there?

I think it's commendable what your intentions are but, it's a bit further than I would have gone; not the cleaning & hay, nail clipping even but, taking for vacs - I would have been worried about adverse reactions personally.
I would have done the cleaning, donated hay & food & left some leaflets but, probably would have talked her into doing it while she was there rather than away with the help of a big cake. I hope she'll be understanding that your heart is in the right place. Sadly you can lead a horse to water but, you can't make it drink - I'm not sure it's great for rabbits to get a taste of how it should be & then go back to how it was before they could go into stasis or something if they get depressed.

Are they all the same sex, how many is there?

I'm avoiding giving specifics in case she does look on here and feels like I've added insult to injury by telling everyone about it. There are a few and they need to get spayed otherwise they will have a higher chance of getting cancer :cry:

Thanks for replying.

I'm avoiding giving specifics in case she does look on here and feels like I've added insult to injury by telling everyone about it. There are a few and they need to get spayed otherwise they will have a higher chance of getting cancer :cry:

Thanks for replying.

Well at least they aren't breeding eh just doe's I take it, chin up your really very sweet & clearly just wanting to help the buns, we all know that, sadly though some people don't get it and never will, I hope she'll appreciate your efforts and not be so self obsessed to take it personally against her, re the hunting franternity in the village, don't let that get to you, they are not long going to be the minority in this country when the coffin dodgers get gone and stop passing on their archaic witless 'traditions', there's nothing wrong with you - they are the ones who are lacking compassion!

I'd back off now & if necessary eat humble pie - maybe turn on the water works even if she gets nasty but, honestly I would stick to winning her & more importantly the kids over;) Go round for a coffee with a big cake and let a load of sweets fall out of your bag accidentally with an MMC leaflet and poster :lol:

Back