• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring grass richness - an issue?

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Following on from Blackberry's post, and also other posts about stasis at the moment, how much of an issue is the Spring grass for buns? Mine free range every day and have unlimited exposure to it all year long during daylight hours - does this mean they're less in danger than buns who only have grass periodically, or once/twice a day, as opposed to all day every day? Or are they more in danger? The grass they have access to is very short because there are lots of buns eating it so I guess that's safer than them having access to long grass - but what do people think?

ETA Another thing that may be relevant is they have to move around a lot to graze, like buns would in the wild. I suspect that will be safer for them than being given a handful of grass all in one go when they're not moving, too?

Im no expert but I would say they were at less risk but there is still some risk. I havent thought about the moving factor but it would make sense to help keep the gut stimulated

I think its worse for indoor bunnies that people start putting outside as the weather gets nice who arent used to any grass

My buns have access everyday all day till night and they have been fine on the grass during spring time and any other time for that matter! :?

They only eat the shorter grass and dont touch the grass if it gets a certain length :roll: :lol: So we still need to cut the grass :lol:

In theory my boys have access to grass all year, but overwinter the grass in their gardens has been replaced by mud :roll:

Clover has an incredibly sensitive tummy and I have to be careful not to give him any fresh new growth.

At the moment there is a lot of new plant growth starting, which could well be richer than later leaves/stalks etc (I'm no expert) - I avoid fresh growth and use more mature growth for my Boys. I think Dan & Butters would be fine, but Clo has had several problems when eating spring grass or new growth.

Last year when he was out in the run on the lawn I had to cover the grass with carpet/lino when it was Clos turn so that he wouldn't eat too much (he is a little piggy and loves his food!)

Last year when he was out in the run on the lawn I had to cover the grass with carpet/lino when it was Clos turn so that he wouldn't eat too much (he is a little piggy and loves his food!)

This is so much a part of the problem - they don't know what's good for them. :no: If buns could only regulate how much to eat and what to eat our lives would be so much less stressful... :roll:

Mine haven't been out on the grass yet this year and it's something I'm a bit worried about. I think I'll have to build it up really slowly and let them out for a little while at a time.
I think your bunnies having access to grass all year round must help a lot.

This is so much a part of the problem - they don't know what's good for them. :no: If buns could only regulate how much to eat and what to eat our lives would be so much less stressful... :roll:

I quite agree! Dan and Butters will leave food, but Clover has to eat and eat and eat. It's such a shame that he has to be limited :(

I'd not thought or heard of the spring grass being an issue.

Star and Starbuck have both had stasis in the spring but in both cases I can only put it down to stress and/or moulting, particularly as Starbuck is an indoor bunny.

I had thought about not letting the bunnies have too much grass though when they free-range because they've not had so much over the winter, because of the grass in my garden being in such a bad state (we have a small lawn and have to walk across it to get to the hutches - we now have stepping stones so that it can grow back around them, if that makes sense).

Back