• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me!!!!!!

gazadams42

New Kit
we bought two rabbits about 6 months ago and assured bothe were girls.
about 10 weeks ago we had a litter of babies OMG!!!, i seperated one from the other which i believed to be the male into another hutch, the other i left with the babies assuming it was the mother as that one was most attentive to the nest and babies.
today in the (man hutch) there is another 2 or 3 babies!!!!
really confused and dont know what to do to stop this tidal wave of baby rabbits.
so now do i assume the other one which is still with the previous litter is male?
will he impregnate the babies?
WHAT DO WE DO!!!
hELP PLEASE

Did the first litter survive ? If so they cannot have been in with the male as he would not be able to feed them.

Did you take them to a Vet to determine which is male and which is female ?

You took the wrong bun out!!! You need to put the babies back in with mum Now or they will die.

Keep both adult buns separated.

Eta.... Ignore me. I didn't read that this was 10 weeks ago. Could any other bun get in to impregnate them both?

didnt take to a vet just took the one out i thought was male the one who just sat in the corner and didnt look interested!!
what age can the babies be impregnated or breed

you will need to latch the older babies onto mum as if they have been in with the male for 10 days they havnt had any food

So you have a litter of 10 week old babies in with one bun, and a litter of new born buns with the other?

For ten weeks the adult buns have been separate and have not had any contact with each other?

Before this you had them for 6 months? There is no possibility that they've been in any contact with another rabbit? :?

...it's like a riddle! :lol::?

So you have a litter of 10 week old babies in with one bun, and a litter of new born buns with the other?

For ten weeks the adult buns have been separate and have not had any contact with each other?

Before this you had them for 6 months? There is no possibility that they've been in any contact with another rabbit? :?

oh sorry 10 week old....well then they must both be female for the babies to have survived

the adults have only been seperated for about 4 weeks as only had one cage

well then you prob sperated the female from her babies and then she got pregnant again by the male and had more.
at some point you will need to take mum to the vet as im pretty sure shes prob got sore bits from have 2 ltters in such a small space of time.

watever you do now you will have to keep the older babies awway from the smallers ones.

the adults have only been seperated for about 4 weeks as only had one cage

Aah, that makes sense then.
I read the rest of the thread and was getting rather confused! :lol:
You must have removed the female. She can become pregnant pretty much straight after giving birth.
By 6 weeks, I suppose the first litter were weaned already, which is why they survived.

I'm not sure what age baby rabbits can breed. Hopefully someone will be able to answer that soon!

This is like one of those maths questions the kids get!

10 weeks ago two rabbits lived together, one rabbit had a litter - 6 weeks later you separated the adults - now (4 weeks later) the lone rabbit has produced babies = Dad is in with 10 week old babies, mum (who was inpregnated for a second time before separation) has given birth to a new litter.

so the male is in with the first litter my fears now are that he will try to impregnate the babies can he do that or are they safe for a bit

You need to get the 10 week old babies reliably sexed and separated asap.

Neutering is the best option for all - boys can be done at about 12 weeks, the females a bit later.

The males will be fertile very soon, the females perhaps not for a few more weeks but with Dad around you can't chance it.

so the male is in with the first litter my fears now are that he will try to impregnate the babies can he do that or are they safe for a bit

I'm not sure what age they can become pregnant but you really need to get an extra cage to prepare for when you need to seperate them. You'll need to sex and seperate the male and female babies too.

It's not unknown though i would find suitable accomadation for the baby bunnies as they will need seperating in the next couple of weeks

Right...that makes sense now :)

Luckily you took mum out when her first litter were just about old enough.

The males can become sexually mature from 12 weeks and will start fighting with each other and dad, so you need to seperate them (where snouts are you...someone on here might offer to help with the sexing...otherwise the vet can do it.)

You have a few options. Either you can get the males neutered AS SOON as their testicles descend, and keep them with one or two of the girls (as littermates should be ok together). Or you can separate all the boys seperately until you can afford to have them neutered, and keep the girls together for a few weeks...,.but they'd have to be seperated at some point before they're spayed, as they might start fighting due to unneutered males being about.

Option one is the best....but they're both costly I'm afraid. Don't put dad back with mum.

Will you have money to neuter and spay all the bunnies.
I think you should re home them once they are old enough to be without their mother.
And go to the vets and get everyone of them checked.
A male rabbit has to be 4-5 months old to be neutered.
And females 5-6 months. :)
It takes up to £50 to neuter and £60-90 to spay for each bunny. Some vets might charge more or less.

Back