• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Broken Leg Help!

d_animality

Young Bun
Please help one of my rabbit leg is broken today... i dont know how it happened.. the broken part is on the feet ... the left one... she still jumping everywhere and i read on the net that i should keep her in small cage... done that... i put her in a medium sized hamster cage where the size is almost as her so she cant move anywhere... my question is...

1) Any other else i should do to keep her safe and avoid more injuries...? i have provided food/hays/water in a place where it is convenient for her...

2) The vets here are closed until coming Monday, will she be safe by then? can she be cured? ive read that i should provide her milk or calcium but i dont know which to be use.. shes 2-3 months old btw.. please help me tell anything i should know..:(

Please help one of my rabbit leg is broken today... i dont know how it happened.. the broken part is on the feet ... the left one... she still jumping everywhere and i read on the net that i should keep her in small cage... done that... i put her in a medium sized hamster cage where the size is almost as her so she cant move anywhere... my question is...

1) Any other else i should do to keep her safe and avoid more injuries...? i have provided food/hays/water in a place where it is convenient for her...

2) The vets here are closed until coming Monday, will she be safe by then? can she be cured? ive read that i should provide her milk or calcium but i dont know which to be use.. shes 2-3 months old btw.. please help me tell anything i should know..:(

i would say if she has a broken leg you need to get her to the vets asap. even if it means going to a different vets that is open.

Are there no Vets open at all ?

You are correct to keep the Rabbit confined but dont give her milk as that would make her really ill.

She needs pain relief as pain can cause a Rabbit to go into shock and/or their GI tract stops working. I'd make sure that she is kept warm by providing a heatpad. If she goes into shock her blood pressure will drop and she will become hypothermic.

I really think you need to try to find a Vet to help her today. Are there any other people nearby who have Pets ? They may know of a Vet who can assist in an emergency which is what this is.

Good luck

Are there any vets open at all?

Ideally the rabbit needs immediate veterinary attention and some pain relief but if that is absolutely impossible then Jane's advice in post #4 is very thorough.

There are various treatments available depending on the position and extent of the break but the vet will be able to advise more when you see them.

Best of luck. x

:( no theres no vets open at all... i tried contact them one by one.. since theres only few vet clinic here and no help.. :(...

well.. the break.. i dont know how to explain the severeness but the broken part is the feet... the feet is hanging and inside i can feel the bone unjoint... as for eating.. shes eating well as i place the food close to her and for today she looks just fine... i put her in a small cage above a small litter box so she doesnt stand on her pee... and the only thing she can move is turning around back and front.. no jumping.. is that okay?

and the vet doctor i called just now.. they said that they will give calcium?? uh oh~ after reading your posts im in doubt of the vets here.. that is why i told before that we dont have vets who really expert in this situation unless its a cat or dog maybe... i still dont know... what else can i give to help her soothe? what pain relief suitabe for her? rmember that shes 2 months.. :( shes doing fine at the moment as if she got nothing happen...

i really afraid if the bone will stuck out if shes in the stituation but i feel the broken part.. no sharp edges.. and only the bottom feet hanging and not working... and she still pee and poops okay.. can she be cured? :( im so shocked and panic bcoz of this

If she's eating that's good and hopefully that will continue until you can get to the vet. :)

There isn't any pain relief she can have without asking a vet first unfortunately.

I would expect the vet to examine the foot and then most likely x-ray to confirm a breakage and to assess the damage.

It can be treated, but that will depend on what exactly has happened. Alfie had his leg pinned (the procedure is exactly the same as for cats and dogs) but I have also seen a bunny on here that had a cast put on.

PS. I'm no expert but am going by what the vet did for Alfie when he dislocated his leg.

If there are no emergency vets to be able to use, you are doing right in trying to minimise the risk until you can get your rabbit seen on Monday.

In answer to your questions it is perfectly ok for your vet to give calcium which probably will be given by injection, this method of giving calcium is fine. Rabbits are intolerant to dairy products and it is giving it in this form which is the problem as it will make your rabbit ill.

You could splint the foot where you believe the break is, this is frequently done in humans until medical help can be obtained.You will need to get something to put either side of the foot which is strong such as a small piece of wood and then wrap something like gauze, bandages or tissue around the foot covering the wood. Then using tape over the top of the gauze to keep it in place. This will stop movement of the bones and also help keep the pain your rabbits is experiencing down. Do not apply the tape directly to the rabbits fur.

When my bun broke his front leg they used the sticks from two magnum ice creams to make the splint. They were just the right length and a good width for support. The fact they got to eat ice cream in the name of a good cause went down well too. :lol:

Just keep him/her safe and dont leave her alone. Keep her near you at night. As soon as the Vets opens phone them and get a appoiment. How did she/he break there leg.

hope she/he gets bteer soon x

Back