• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range bunnies and litter training?

Hop.Skip.Jump

Warren Scout
Hello guys. I am considering taking my bunny indoors only if i can litter train her and will only be allowed to take her in if I can litter train her. Can anyone give me some ideas for litter training her? Also how do you stop your free range bunnies from chewing at things? When I take my bun in all she does is chew everything. I give her toys but chewing anything she's not suppose to is more fun according to her :roll:

Most buns letter train themselves vertainly with wees anyway. that said you might not get a choice of where the tray goes. Start by putting a tray in the place where your bun normally wees and get him/her used to using it. You might then be able to move the tray to where you want it.

Just a warning though Dutchie moved into the shed and started peeing on one side of the shed even though his tray was on the other. He pulled his tray over to wee in and I moved it back and he moved it agian. Eventually I gave up and he has his tray where he wants it :roll:

I ended up just letting Oscar choose where he wanted to go, then putting a litter tray there (even if some bits do go over the edge...)

As for chewing, we hide most things out of the way, provide other things for him to chew- like apple branches, cardboard boxes, hay in toilet roll tubes, etc...

I have two house buns, I could just be lucky but I've never had any major problems with chewing, so far. It takes a lot of time and patience to help train them not to go where they shouldn't. If they start nibbling a chair leg for instance, then in a loud, firm deeper voice, just say 'NO', they will always try again and again so you may have to do this a few times, after a couple of tries and they're still doing it, try clapping your hands together as well as saying 'NO' but don't lunge towards them or tap/poke them. They should realise after a while that they aren't meant to go there but be careful, if your back is turned for a second they may have another try, so all free range time should be supervised. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on the floor, and try and play with her as much as you can so you can keep her distracted. After 8 months I can comfortably leave Peanut out of her cage if I want to pop to the shops and I no longer worry now, so it's all worth the effort.

Edit/added: Peanut is deaf and I still managed to train her, I think me clapping my hands near her worked to let her know she shouldn't do something even though at the time I didn't realise she was deaf.

There are other things of course that you can do to bunny proof, cover wires up with tubing, even if you've hidden them she'll probably find them, use clear sticky back plastic to protect some things if you can, it could be useful on skirting and some people put it on the corners of their carpet as the buns can't chew or scratch because the plastic is too slippery for them to get any grip. You could get clear perspex as well which you can also use to cover and protect certain areas. You could get some large willow matts, phone books, carboard tunnels to keep her busy. Don't leave anything of value on the floor or within reach if you don't want anything nibbled at. Block off any gaps where you don't want them to go, I use anything that will fit, DVDs, books, old bits of wood, the wii fit that I never use has come in very handy for the gap down the side of the sofa :lol: You can also get wire mesh panels from Wickes that you can connect together to fence some areas off, your house will never look the same again I'm afraid :lol:

As with litter training, most buns will always wee in one place so wherever that will be, is where you should place the litter tray, if it's in a really inconvenient place then put a newspaper there and then put the soiled newspaper in a litter tray near by and hope that she starts using that instead, you may have to do this a few times too, you may also have to put up with a few wee stains on your carpet/floor but it's easily cleaned up. Peanut decided that to the side of my kitchen door was where she wanted her toilet to be :roll: so that is now where it is :lol: I'm sure there are a few other tricks and tips but I can't think of them right now and I've already waffled on enough. Good luck and I hope it goes ok

Last edited:
What Colyflower said - brilliant advice!
Has been pretty much the same with ours, only not sure I'd trust them long enough to nip to the shops!! They escaped when we went away for a long weekend last year (had a sitter come in to feed them and let them run) and chewed a hole in the rug!

I've found with mine that when they have access to enough room 24-7 (and by enough room I mean a whole entire room) then they're far less destructive. Mine have some things to chew of their own, apple twigs mainly, and some things to jump on and off and hide under but other than that mine just don't play with toys, they much prefer having the space.

I still have all my wires bunny proofed though...

_IGP0565-vi.jpg

What Colyflower said - brilliant advice!
Has been pretty much the same with ours, only not sure I'd trust them long enough to nip to the shops!! They escaped when we went away for a long weekend last year (had a sitter come in to feed them and let them run) and chewed a hole in the rug!

She's a very well behaved bunny, not too sure about my new bun who is yet to be bonded and let loose in the house, so I'll be going through all I've mentioned again! I might not be so lucky this time though.

Back