• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recovery from stasis questions

Jenson

Mama Doe
Hello
I'm not sure how to word this really, so please excuse if this is a dumb question.

On Monday I dashed Jenson to the vet because he was in pain and wouldn't eat, they kept him in and he ate overnight and came home that evening after teeth checks.

He's been on metaclopramide (gut stimulant) and fibreplex and went back for a three day check last night. We saw our bunny savvy vet who was happy with his progress even though he's a little quiet.

Anyway, I've only one dose of fibreplex left and I'm wondering if I should get more as I still have some of the other stuff left. I stupidly asked if I should keep giving him the meds but didn't think to ask if I should get more.

Jenson is eatting fine but he's floppy more than usual, it's like it's all taken it out of him and he needs to rest more, the vet said it was fine. When he is active he's normal, but then goes and flops again. Or hides under his blanket, I think he's cold so have given his new snugglesafe.

But he isn't eatting as much hay (but he is getting a little more food than usual) as I would like and not as many poops as normal. He must of eaten more hay overnight because there was less in the morning and I've topped it back up and he's snuggled under his blanket.

Am I being a new bunny owner stress (as the vet wasn't concerned last night) and should I get some more fibreplex? I never remember the right questions when I'm there!

My OH is back from skiing today and I've already given him the warning to be quiet and careful around Jenson!

How many days has he had fibreplex for? My vet always recommends a 5 day treatment of Metaclopromide and Metacam but I dont usually give fibreplex as I dont find it helps with Snowdrop.

I only give fibreplex until they start eating, otherwise you are filling his tummy up so much that he won't want to eat.

Clo had one syringe feed last night, but as soon as he started nibbling I left off and now he's eating like a little piggy again :)

Hope Jenson gets fully better soon.

Sorry, don't know the answers to your questions. Spenser was his usual self within about 48 hours of his stasis episodes. He just got recovery food from the emergency vet, which I gave up on as soon as he started eating as we both found it stressful. :oops: His regular vet gave him baytril, but not fibreplex (although he's got that at the moment due to having been a bit off his food recently). Hope someone more knowledgeable can help with answers.

You can always phone your vet and ask about the meds etc if you're not sure :)

I have to take a notebook and pen with me on vets trips as I just can't remember it all, and I write down questions in advance (if I can think of any). Helps me to not stress over remembering it all :)

Why not give the vets a call and ask them if you are not sure. If you are not confident he is eating sufficient hay etc then it might put your mind at rest to know he's having it.

What are his poops like? Their size and colour should tell you if he is getting back to normal/eating more hay.

Recovery from stasis can be very prolonged in some rabbits. Ileus (gut slowing) is very persistent and following an episode can hang around for up to two weeks. Normally if a bun has been given prokinetics for the gut (metclopramide/ranitidine) and bunny has a history of ileus/stasis then often it is recommended to continue the medication for 5 days after bunny is back to normal, to really hit the ileus on the head. Other acute episodes of stasis/bloat where bun is not predisposed often respond to a one-off one to two day dose of meds and recover by themselves. Personally I prefer the 5 day course.

The most important thing however is getting to the bottom of the underlying cause of the stasis/bloat in the first place. Causes can be numerous and multiple and although isolated incidents do occur (usually stress related) more often than not there is a physiological underlying cause.

Fibreplex can be given for a several days or long term (on advice of your vet) or you can get a more appropriate long-term probiotic such as Avipro, Biolapis or Protexin Profibre pellets if you feel this would be helpful. Biolapis is the ideal one if bun will drink it in their water.

In the meantime it is important to keep bunny mobile, warm, and eating - hydration is essential so if bun is self-eating wet greens/grass/dandelions will help keep the gut moving, and plenty of hay of course. Any concerns that the underlying cause has not been solved then I would go back to your vet asap. Good luck x

Thank you for the advice, some things I hadn't thought of to ask.

I phoned the vet and spoke to the nurse that was there when I went yesteterday.

They said to continue till meds are finished and if I'm still concerned then to take him back down or call for repeat.
I've just tried him with a pellet or two and he was straight up onto my lap frantic for them, which is normal behaviour and his tummy feels soft. He has a water bowl, bottle, snugglesafe and a blanket (and lots of hay).

He's not pooped as much, but again he doesn't usually this time of day.

My instinct is that because I keep feeding him little bits and the fibreplex, he's not as hungrey as usual. I normally don't give him too much so he has to eat hay but, at the moment I've been spreading his food out (little and often) and he's been getting greens to take the fibreplex.

I shall continue to keep a close eye. (and I'll pop out later for a little notebook :wave: )

This afternoon's update.

Since 4pm (usual bunny wake up time), Jenson has been busy munching hay :D I've kept the last dose of fibreplex for this evening.

I'm always happy when he's sat in his tray munching hay :D Long may it continue.:wave: And I'm off to find some stuff on hay experts to buy for him.

This afternoon's update.

Since 4pm (usual bunny wake up time), Jenson has been busy munching hay :D I've kept the last dose of fibreplex for this evening.

I'm always happy when he's sat in his tray munching hay :D Long may it continue.:wave: And I'm off to find some stuff on hay experts to buy for him.

Hope Jenson approves of your selection. :wave:

Back