• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

gut stimulant question? u/d given zantac

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
Is this available to administer orally? Eric's only ever had it injected but I'm off to the vets in a bit to take his wee sample.

Overnight he's nibbled a bit and had a good drink-hence me pouncing on his tray earlier but although we had about 20 poops last night, this mornings are fewer.

So, I'm panicking a bit that if he doesn't improve much poop wise that I'll end up at the emergency vet who seem to just give baytril for everything.

Eric's still grooming excessively too.

Last edited:
Yes, both Metoclopromide and Ranitidine are available in an oral preparation.
But if a Rabbit is in full GI stasis oral meds may not be effective.

Thanks Jane.

Yesterday his guts were ok, just a bit empty but we don't know yet why he isn't eating much.

Poor Eric :(
Metacloperamide is definatly available to give orally.
Im not sure about the over grooming but to me it says pain or discomfort? :?
Is there any way you can get some Metacam off your vet to give him at home?
Loads more vibes for your little man xxx

Sorry Eric still isn't quite right :(

I was given Metaclopramide (sp) to bring home with me for Clover. He had the injections last night, but I was given this for if he was not fully eating and pooping, but if he was not eating or pooping at all I was told to take himback in.

Thankfully he seems to be back to his gannet like self :)

just got back from the vets. she didn't like his wee but there was no blood or obvious infection, it was just very cloudy. she was going to give abx but then decide to wait until monday and told me to continue with the metacam and give him zantac (0.5ml twice per day).

if i am worried, they are open til 2.30 today.

how long should i be 'waiting' here? yesterdays check picked up nothing particularly untoward but i just know eric isn't right. the grooming constantly is concerning me and i explained about the hard poo with fur inside. she said the zantac should help that.

doesn't look like he's eaten anything whilst i've been out and he's too busy washing - again - to eat now:(

Can you encourage him to eat by waving it under his nose and tickling his mouth with it until it bugs him enough to eat? I do this with Nino if he's in pain and off his food. Sometimes just getting the appetite stimulated is enough to get them self-eating more.

The ranitidine (zantac) will help the caecum and lower gut yes, that's good. I'm sorry he's still not right yet though, cloudy wee sounds like he's a bit dehydrated. I would get some fluids into him or some wet greens/grass if you can manage it. If you do take him back i'd get some sub-cuts done to be on the safe side.

I really hope Eric feels better soon, poor you x

thanks prettylupin.

he's STILL grooming - that can't be right can it?

he won't eat wet greens - leaves them on his tray til they've dried usually:roll:

i'm going to put the zantac on some banana - if he won't eat that, i'm:censored:'d!

he did have a big drink during the night.

No the excessive grooming is a bit odd, I suspect it's a comfort behaviour, but it's also a good sign as a really poorly bunny won't even bother to do that, I always feel mild relief when Nino starts to groom.

Just get the medicines in any way you can and get him to eat anything he likes at this point to be honest. If you are still concerned then pop him back for some fluids under the skin, they do work very well to keep a bun from going over the brink. When did he last have pain relief?

I suspect that bladder sludge *might* be his problem. This can cause intermittent pain and does not always present with haematuria. I asume that the Vet examined his bladder ?

eric last had metacam at around 6pm last night.

he only ate a tiny bit of the banana with zantac on - obviously doesn;t like the taste:(

the vet had a good feel of his tum yesterday and i *think* she suspected uti but his wee sample showed no signs other than cloudy.

jane, can they feel the bladder well on examination?

still not eaten but i have half a dozen small poops from him in the last hour.

i have some peppermint tea cooling but every time i enter the room, he scarpers - he is rather difficult to syringe anything into.

eric last had metacam at around 6pm last night.

he only ate a tiny bit of the banana with zantac on - obviously doesn;t like the taste:(

the vet had a good feel of his tum yesterday and i *think* she suspected uti but his wee sample showed no signs other than cloudy.

jane, can they feel the bladder well on examination?

still not eaten but i have half a dozen small poops from him in the last hour.

i have some peppermint tea cooling but every time i enter the room, he scarpers - he is rather difficult to syringe anything into.

I'm not Jane but Yes, they can. Whenever Artie isn't well the vet's always are able to tell me whether this bladder feels full or otherwise, same with Esme actually as she's had a couple of bladder infections. Another clue could be if he flinches when his bladder is felt, if this is where the pain is that's bothering him.

i'm at a loss.

i MUST do something for eric but i don't know what.

he's not showing any discomfort signs at the moment rather than the grooming but he's really scared whenever i go near him.

u/d vet appt 2.10

fortunately managed to get an appt before they close today.

i get the feeling i'll be thought of as paranoid or not giving it enough time but i know eric and something is wrong. if i leave it.........

any advise on what to ask for? bladder exam? gut exam? sub-cut fluids? metoclop?

poor s-d is now covered in recovery - so am i. he clamped his jaw shut:(

fortunately managed to get an appt before they close today.

i get the feeling i'll be thought of as paranoid or not giving it enough time but i know eric and something is wrong. if i leave it.........

any advise on what to ask for? bladder exam? gut exam? sub-cut fluids? metoclop?

poor s-d is now covered in recovery - so am i. he clamped his jaw shut:(

I would ask about the possibility of bladder sludge.

I'd also get the Vet to re-examine his mouth, any soft tissue damage/ulceration to cheeks/tongue? I know he only had a Dental last week but............................

Good luck xx

No advice on what to ask for but following Jane's hunch that it *could* be bladder sludge -Artie had no obvious symptoms but was out of sorts on and off for about six months before he was in stasis one day and had a big wee with blood in it. Then came the diagnosis. ie it was bothering him for 6 months before there were any obvious signs. You know Eric well - there could be something like this going on that maybe only things like x-rays could pick up. Stick to your guns, you know something isn't right.

Back