• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I take my Rabbit to a Vet ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
A question that seems to appear a lot over in 'Health' Personally I think that if you are asking yourself that question the answer is almost certainly 'yes'.

Thing is that most of us on here are not Vets and even if more of us were we still could not give a definitive diagnosis from symptoms posted on a Forum. A physical 'hands on' examination can give A LOT more information than just trying to piece together vague symptoms, many of which could apply to a multitude of problems.

Really sorry if this thread causes offense, it is not my intention to get up everyones noses. But it really is important that we all remember that how ever good RU is for advise and support we are not a substitute for a Veterinary Consultation. Yes, there are still too many non Rabbit savvy Vets. Maybe it would be a good idea to find out if your Vet is Rabbit Savvy BEFORE they are needed.

I guess I will be on a few more members 'Ignore List' after this post, but if just one Bun benefits then I can live with being persona non grata.

Ive always thought it's a strange question to be asking too! it's a bit of a no brainer! If you're concerned enough to post a comment like that you should already be on your way to the vet or at least have booked an appointment! It's more sensible to book your bunny in asap then come on here and ask for additional info to go to the vet armed with a bit of extra knowledge!

Yep - I agree with you both.

I'll ask for extra info afterwards, or if the consultation left me with questions etc, but I'll always book an appointment first.

I would assume that the majority of those that ask if a vet's visit is necessary are thinking of the financial aspect. If someone isn't very well off then by posting on here they may be advised that if they do a or b then this will help the rabbit, rather than visiting the vets

I know that we shouldn't have pets if we can't afford to provide vet treatment BUT I'm sure most of us didn't realise just how easily rabbits fall ill, especially when we got our first, and so didn't realise quite how frequently, in some instances, vet treatment would be required and the subsequent expense involved.

I'm not trying to "stick up" for anyone that doesn't obtain immediate vet care but I really believe that the vast majority of owners wouldn't let their pet suffer unnecessarily.

I would assume that the majority of those that ask if a vet's visit is necessary are thinking of the financial aspect. If someone isn't very well off then by posting on here they may be advised that if they do a or b then this will help the rabbit, rather than visiting the vets

I know that we shouldn't have pets if we can't afford to provide vet treatment BUT I'm sure most of us didn't realise just how easily rabbits fall ill, especially when we got our first, and so didn't realise quite how frequently, in some instances, vet treatment would be required and the subsequent expense involved.

I'm not trying to "stick up" for anyone that doesn't obtain immediate vet care but I really believe that the vast majority of owners wouldn't let their pet suffer unnecessarily.

This.

I am not suggesting that they would. But I do think that sometimes the reply wanted is 'no, if you do a,b,c your Rabbit will be fine. But no-one can say that just by reading about symptoms. I am not for a second suggesting people should not post asking for advice and support. I do that enough myself !! But all I am trying to say is that obtaining a face-to-face Veterinary Consultation should, IMO, always take precedence :)

I sometimes post questions whilst i'm waiting for my vet to open as I have experienced that ru replies often prompt me to ask my vet que
stions at the consultation that I may not have thought of.

Like I'm going to now....

I dont mind them asking especially if they are a new owner and arent sure if something is normal rabbit behaviour. EG (not saying this has been posted but just an idea) a new owner might see their rabbit binky and think its having a fit.

What really bothers me is if the symptoms are serious and they are told it would be a good idea to go to the vets and they still dont go. Personally I dont see finances as an excuse, if you cant afford a pet dont have one. If you dont drive get a taxi. If you know you wont have money for an emergency taxi and bills put some away each week so that if something does happen you have it.

I know there are people on here who have put things like spays or neuters off for a month or two while they save up for them I am not including them in this grumble thats different.

At the first sign of anything, mine get booked in and are at the vet within the hour. I don't leave anything to chance. I will then post on here for any advice and maybe to check on the meds given.

I think that maybe newer owners may be uncertain as to what would require a vet visit, personally my view is if you know your bunny is "not right" that justifies a vet visit.

I do agree, although I have asked it before, simply because I don't know if I am just being an over active mum about a tiny thing which can be sorted with a few less pellets or a bit more carrot etc.
I am starting to think I will soon have a chair with my name on in the waiting room :roll:

I agree though, if you have to ask the question the answer is more than likely yes! Especially if the rabbit has stopped eating an looks like they are in pain... which seem to be a lot of the threads on health.

I totally agree. I think in some cases it is denial. You love your pet so much you can't bare to see them ill and bury your head in the sand. Its no excuse but I've been there.

I've always took mine first off to my vet and then came online to talk about what was said and the treatment offered.

I know a wonderful lady who is well up on guinea pig care and I message her when I have a problem with one of mine but I use vet advice first.

I also think some people giving advice out are very dangerous, but thats a whole other post!

I agree. :)

It doesn't actually bother me if someone asks though (you know, needing reassurance, or confidence, better ask than sit and worry and dwell and not go), as long as they take the advice given and do whatever has been advised. It bothers me far more if people post, get good advice, and then ignore it completely (or some of it).

I completely agree Jane. If you are in doubt always best to get a professional to look over your animal. I was in doubt a few weeks back as one of my buns just didn't seem right, couldn't put my finger on what it was but I took her to see a vet anyway and it turned out she had a big tumour on her mesentery. All the vets could advise was to take her home and give her lots of treats before the inevitable happened 5 days later and I took her to be PTS as in my opinion (and later the vets) she was suffering. Nothing could be done as the tumour was big and she was an old rabbit who had been mistreted health wise in the past so surgery wasn't really an option.

By taking her to see a vet I had a heads up and was able to keep more of a close eye on her than normal as I wanted to make sure I was on top of what was going on.

It's definitely a good idea to come here and ask questions as you can get ideas of questions you should be asking during the consult plus have some ideas of what the illness could be and do some reading so you can take a bit more in during the consult if you already have the basics covered before you go.

I agreee in principle, but Spenser and I would be living in the vet's waiting room if I went every time I had a concern. :? Having coming rather late to pet-ownership I think I do get over-anxious very easily. :oops:

I think like webkath says there'll always be cases where people don't know much about rabbits and will say 'My rabbit is doing some really smelly soft poos, should I take it to a vet?' and the answer may not be yes, it may be 'Do they look like squashed grapes? What are they eating, 3 bowls of pellets a day? Actually you can adjust the diet'.

I think asking questions and getting reassurance is useful, but like others have said it's frustrating when the answer really is see a vet and is ignored.

Yes, that was/is the point of this thread really. Not to put people off asking for advice, but just to remind some people that we probably wont be able to give the 'he/she'll be fine' answer that is wanted.

I really am not 'having a go', but sometimes over in 'Health' it can be rather disheartening when some people *appear* to want to avoid seeing a Vet and get stroppy if that is the only real advice we can give :?

Of course by giving advice we have to accept that it may be ignored, but why then come back asking the same questions again a few weeks later :?

Anyways, I will shut up now :oops:

I think like webkath says there'll always be cases where people don't know much about rabbits and will say 'My rabbit is doing some really smelly soft poos, should I take it to a vet?' and the answer may not be yes, it may be 'Do they look like squashed grapes? What are they eating, 3 bowls of pellets a day? Actually you can adjust the diet'.

I think asking questions and getting reassurance is useful, but like others have said it's frustrating when the answer really is see a vet and is ignored.

But I think there's a difference between saying "my rabbit has this minor health complaint/ nails need clipping/ is moulting heavily" etc and asking for ways to help them before seeing a vet who would probably give the same advice and those that come on here more saying their rabbit is floppy, hunched up in pain etc and should they take them to the vet and then getting in a strop when people say the rabbit needs to see a vet asap.

I agree but sometimes there are are reasons why people may ask. :? Like is someone's bunny's claw fell out, do they really need to see a vet or will it heal itself. There are some exceptions.

I agree. :)

It doesn't actually bother me if someone asks though (you know, needing reassurance, or confidence, better ask than sit and worry and dwell and not go), as long as they take the advice given and do whatever has been advised. It bothers me far more if people post, get good advice, and then ignore it completely (or some of it).

This ^ totally.

Back