• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blind & Deaf Buns....

honey61

Mama Doe
I know there are a few RU members that have deaf buns .... & some that have blind/vision impaired buns.... But does anyone have a Blind & Deaf bun?

I ask because we found out earlier this week that Joey is blind (cataracts in both eyes completely covering the lens) ... & I now suspect he is also deaf :(

Am curious to know really ... :)

I dont have any experience with a both blind and deaf Bun, just either or. So I will be watching this thread with interest. I did wonder if Joey may be deaf, that's why I asked the question on the thread you posted telling us that your Vet said Joey is blind.

Our Noah is deaf & only has very limited sight as he's a rew & he scans like rews tend to do - however, he does manage absolutely fine. In fact nothing fazes him or bothers him the slightest!! He's a totally free range housebun, spends most of his days sleeping on our bed with our three cats & sleeps with us at night :):love:

We then have Evie who is a 9 month old conti & completely blind, but can hear. Evie was born with no eyes, so to her has never known any different :) She's the same as Noah, she couldn't care less that she can't see - she is the most confident bunny & is constantly up to mischief!! :lol: We do have to supervise her very closely when she's out & about because she thinks nothing of jumping up on to the sofa & then on to the windowsill despite not being able to see them!! :shock:

Hilda (capel) on here also has Dougal who I believe is deaf & very partially sighted - he's a wee star :love: One of his threads is below :) As far as I know he too manages fine & is loving being a much loved housebunny :love:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239993

I'm sorry to hear about Joey :cry: poor wee fella :( I know it will affect his life due to this, but it sounds like he's already started to adapt so well & has truly landed on all four paws with you :) I honestly think animals have an instinct to just cope with what ever life throws at them & to them it quickly becomes normality :)

I dont have any experience with a both blind and deaf Bun, just either or. So I will be watching this thread with interest. I did wonder if Joey may be deaf, that's why I asked the question on the thread you posted telling us that your Vet said Joey is blind.

I had my suspicions that he could also be deaf... so this week have been watching him & also doing some noise/clanging experiments. I don't get any reaction to loud noises when he doesn't know I am in the vacinity. Although I do wonder if he hears certain higher pitches :? .... or whether it is my imagination & he is just waggling his ears :D

He's a happy little soul ... & will rush up to me once he knows I am close by ... so maybe an extra strong sense of smell to compensate ....

Your experience of blind buns..... do they react to light?

I had my suspicions that he could also be deaf... so this week have been watching him & also doing some noise/clanging experiments. I don't get any reaction to loud noises when he doesn't know I am in the vacinity. Although I do wonder if he hears certain higher pitches :? .... or whether it is my imagination & he is just waggling his ears :D

He's a happy little soul ... & will rush up to me once he knows I am close by ... so maybe an extra strong sense of smell to compensate ....

Your experience of blind buns..... do they react to light?

Some do, but I have had a couple who were completely blind with no light recognition at all.

Our Noah is deaf & only has very limited sight as he's a rew & he scans like rews tend to do - however, he does manage absolutely fine. In fact nothing fazes him or bothers him the slightest!! He's a totally free range housebun, spends most of his days sleeping on our bed with our three cats & sleeps with us at night :):love:

We then have Evie who is a 9 month old conti & completely blind, but can hear. Evie was born with no eyes, so to her has never known any different :) She's the same as Noah, she couldn't care less that she can't see - she is the most confident bunny & is constantly up to mischief!! :lol: We do have to supervise her very closely when she's out & about because she thinks nothing of jumping up on to the sofa & then on to the windowsill despite not being able to see them!! :shock:

Hilda (capel) on here also has Dougal who I believe is deaf & very partially sighted - he's a wee star :love: One of his threads is below :) As far as I know he too manages fine & is loving being a much loved housebunny :love:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239993

I'm sorry to hear about Joey :cry: poor wee fella :( I know it will affect his life due to this, but it sounds like he's already started to adapt so well & has truly landed on all four paws with you :) I honestly think animals have an instinct to just cope with what ever life throws at them & to them it quickly becomes normality :)

Thank you for the link ... will have a look see :D

I have to agree with you... they certainly do adpat & I am amazed how well Joey is settling in. In just a week he has come on leaps & bounds :D
He has learnt the layout of his room (he is only confined to it at night for the moment) ... found his shelf in his crate... is toilet trained & is now confident with the layout of my office.
All the doors are left open so he can have access to the remainder of the house so when he feels ready, he can explore & learn the route back to his room ... something only he can do, bless him.

He is such an affectionate bun ... always looking for a nose rub ....which makes him melt into the carpet :love:

Back