• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio?? U/d he said no

hellsdarkrose

Warren Veteran
Would it possibly be easier to bond my two girls together by creating a trio?

If in the event it didn't work as a trio then at least 1 of the girls would have a husbun I hope.

My OH doesn't want anymore rabbits as he has a fear we will end up with 3 singles. I think he is also worried as Waffle has cost a lot of money in vets bills but I think we are now forewarned and would ensure any bunny is insured like Radish is.

Another question I had is does it cost loads more to have 3 than 2?

Last edited:
From a cost perspective you have to add another to the food, vaccination bills etc. Plus you'll need to check your set up for size. As for bedding, if you have your buns together then they won't need as much to keep them warm as they'll snuggle together.

I'm no expert on bonding but females can be tricky to bond together as they can be quite territorial. I'm assuming that they're neutered? You'll need a neutral place to try and bond them together. As for adding a male, there are more experienced people on here than me to tell you when and how to bond a hunky buck to your girls.

There are plenty of buns out there needing homes, plus a lot of rehoming places can help you with bonding, especially seeing as you'll probably need a neutral place for the girls to bond.

I have a trio...2 girls and a boy...on the whole they're very good but Bella has been known to nip Dolly...never fight though and I think it's still a dominance thing.
As for cost, obviously the extra in jabs but I don't feel the pocket overly by having an extra one, I saveby making my own bunny biscuits and cut down on the expensive hay and opt for the baled, which goes further :D

I would say it is worth a go, my boys are definetly peace makers with the girls! Girls are just so stroppy :roll:
I personally didnt see much of a difference cost wise when I went from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4, its only really the vaccs and vet bills that add up. Food, hay etc I didnt notice any difference though obviously they go through more.

I would maybe try it and as you say if it didnt work, one of your girls is likely to bond with him - they will naturally pair so you will see how it goes, THEN your OH will see how nice it is to see snuggly buns and feel sorry for the singleton and maybe you will be allowed a 4th for the other girl ;)
The trio may well work anyway - Good Luck

Cost wise its a whole set of vaccinations more a year, food and hay etc doesn't cost heaps more but its the vet bills that get me.

I did have a trio of 2 girls and a boy and one of my girls picked on the other really really badly so I have split them up and bonded Chloe(the bullied one) with another boy. That's just my experience, I am sure some people have great trio experience. I guess it is down to individual bunnies as to how accepting they are. My Poppy has always been agressive, grumpy and generally a pain in the bum, I kinda knew it wouldn't work from the start.

I'd really like to get both my girls a husbun but I think that's a hard sell for OH. Waffle has tummy issues and can't have pellets so I feel she would benefit from a kind caring husbun. Radish is very feisty but also very friendly and I think she would just want a partner in crime :p

Just pondering at present as OH is dead against it. But I get my bonus at the end if March and I figured my money my decision.

There is a bunny i have had my eye on for a while who I think would be great with Radish I'm just not so sure about Waffle.

I'd really like to get both my girls a husbun but I think that's a hard sell for OH. Waffle has tummy issues and can't have pellets so I feel she would benefit from a kind caring husbun. Radish is very feisty but also very friendly and I think she would just want a partner in crime :p

Just pondering at present as OH is dead against it. But I get my bonus at the end if March and I figured my money my decision.

There is a bunny i have had my eye on for a while who I think would be great with Radish I'm just not so sure about Waffle.

Cuold you work on him a little more and go for 4, one extra rabbit so suit each of them? You could try a foursome but if that didn't work then you could have 2 pairs.

Cuold you work on him a little more and go for 4, one extra rabbit so suit each of them? You could try a foursome but if that didn't work then you could have 2 pairs.

At the moment I'm seriously struggling to persuade him to get 1 more. He's said no and it's not money it's the fact ifthey fall out at some point we have no room for 3 singles

It'lls cost you extra for vaccinations and insurance, but it'll be worth it.

A boy bun can bring two girls together, however you have to be careful in trio's as one bun always gets left out/belittled and it's not very nice. With Waffle being rather ill, I'd be worried this would happen to her. You could always look around rescue's for a pair of neutered boy's and have a quad.

But you'd need the space and the availability for funds. And going via a rescue will ensure you get the bond you desire as they're experienced at bonding.

If they fall out you can always get back in touch with the rescue and send them back there. So ideally you won't need to worry about that.

If worst comes to worst, why not ask a rescue about bonding your two girls. Female's together can be so wonderful! Very compassionate, and groom each other loads! I love my female groups :love:

OH said no to more bunnies and no to sending the buns away for bonding. Although I may defy him on that one I'm not sure yet.

I'm pondering one last home bonding attempt in the truly neutral territory of our bedroom as neither bun has ever been in there. I will probably do a seperate thread about that as I have questions

Back