• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does changing pellets change bunnies poo colour?

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
Dan & Clo are now on SS - the poops are lovely and large and crumbly, but much darker in colour, despite good hay eating.

Butters refused to make the change and is still on Beaphars, and his poops are still golden.

I guess it's the different ingredients that make the poop colour difference?

My two are now on ss after being on beaphar and i noticed a change in colour too :)
Ps so sorry about blackberry i hope you are doing ok. xxxx

Last edited:
I think it can also be diet related (think) ie natural wild diet...I'm sure I read it somewhere but don't quote me.
Hope you and gang are ok.:)

I think it can also be diet related (think) ie natural wild diet...I'm sure I read it somewhere but don't quote me.
Hope you and gang are ok.:)

Yeah, my boys do have the wild diet, but with Beaphars pellets the poops were only marginally darker.

The SS poops are much darker, but very impressive sizewise :shock:

Not sure about the pellets, but I get this with hay - yellow hay = golden poops, green hay = darker poops!

My 3 have Oxbow bunny basics and I noticed that Homey had lovely big golden poops (he is my non-hay eater), the other two that are good hay eaters are not as golden or as big.

I thought buns on SS were supposed to do more golden poos? :? Spenser's still on a mixture of SS and Excel, but clearly prefers SS. I haven't noticed much change in his poos yet. I really should get rid of the remaining Excel as SS obviously agrees with him as I do have a friend who could use the Excel.

Yes, I think it makes a difference. Jenson has mostly SS with a little excel because I still have some left.
Since I started him on SS they have been bigger and a more goldenish colour, I'm waiting for them to get back to normal this week though.

I also think his coat/fur is much better on SS too.

See, my boys have gone darker in colour :?

They're BIIIIG, crumbly like they should be etc, but darker. But the pellets themselves are a lot darker than Beaphars....

I don't really know either way. :?

My two have poos that change colour throughout the day and that varies depending on how much grass/veg they've been eating.

Bubbles was on Excel when we got her from the rescue (and Alfie was on Excel junior) and her poos were always huge and golden - twice the size of Alfie's at the time as he wasn't a great hay eater back then.

I don't remember noticing any difference when I changed them to SS though.

So basically all that ^^^^ waffle was no help at all really. :oops: :lol:

As long as they are a good size though, and still crumbly etc that's more important than the colour I think. :thumb:

The Mrs and Roland are on SS and have golden poops alot of the time!!Occasionally the litter tray holds dark poops and golden.....
Lils and BB have SS but have darker pellets more often as the hay intake is a little less Ive always supposed (despite having epic amounts of hay in the pen as they walk on it).

Right, this is the current colour of poops:

BunniesgardenandpaintingsFeb2011001.jpg

And these are old poops on the old pellets:

BunniesandpoopsApril2010018.jpg

I'll take some pics of Spenser's tomorrow. They are mainly darker than Dan and Clo's new ones.:oops: He is eating a bit more hay too.:? Did you see the photo of Paw-Paw's poops on a recent thread by Fluffers? They were truly enviable poops. :evil:

They look a good size (I think - always hard to tell from a photo). :thumb:

I'll try and get a photo tomorrow... I might even have a poo bracelet to show if I'm lucky. :oops: :lol:

Back