• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hard smelly rabbit poops

nilly

Young Bun
hi there,

I've got question about Pumpkin. He has been with us for a month now and he is around 14 weeks old. He has bonded with us, using his litter tray properly, eating and drinking properly as well. But for the last 2 days his poop smells like body odour. It's not the poop he eats I know the difference.These pellets are a bit more darker colour then usual and hard like normal poops but very bad smelling.

I have been weaning him onto veggies for the last week he hasn't had any problems so far in terms of weaning. I only give him around a handful of veggies and I give half in the morning and half in the evening. He is eating a lot of hay and usual amount of good quality pellets.

What is the cause of this smell do you think? By the way he will get neuted next month and last week I took him to the vet for his second vaccination and he said Pumpking was healthy. I am like a neurotic mother when it comes to Pumpkin please help:?

The smell may be a combination of dietary change and the fact that he has reached puberty. Entire Bucks can be very smelly, both their poo and their wee !!

Are you introducing just one type of Veg at a time ? It is best to do so then *if* a problem should occur you will know which type of Veg is the culprit.

Obviously without actually examining your Bun and seeing a sample of the smelly poo I cant say for certain that all is OK, so if you remain concerned I would get your Vet to check him over :)

some of floppys poos smell and his wee is mingin !! love him to death tho hes just had the snip so hoping it calms down if your worried id call your vet but its quite normal in this house in fact when hes wee on me little monster its extra stinky lol

It sounds like he has hit puberty to me. The scent they give off on their poos smells horribly like BO! Getting him neutered will sort it out :wave:

The smell may be a combination of dietary change and the fact that he has reached puberty. Entire Bucks can be very smelly, both their poo and their wee !!

Are you introducing just one type of Veg at a time ? It is best to do so then *if* a problem should occur you will know which type of Veg is the culprit.

Obviously without actually examining your Bun and seeing a sample of the smelly poo I cant say for certain that all is OK, so if you remain concerned I would get your Vet to check him over :)

I have given him different veggies everyday for the last week he didn't have any problem. But today I will only give him a little of his pellets, hay and water only to see if it's the veggies it's caused it. I fell like it's because he has reached puberty but with my other buns on ly their pee smelt not their poo. I will keep a close eye on him if it goes on like this I will take him to vet on monday. Thanks for your advise.

Back