• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes needed for a poorly baby bunny...He didn't make it

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
We have a new arrival at the sanctuary this evening...a very poorly 12 week old baby bunny. He's very skinny and has awful diarrhoea. At the moment he's hunched up and looking rather unhappy. He is drinking but has only had a nibble on food, but quickly loses interest like he finds it difficult to eat. The other babies in the litter are apparently all fine, so its not contagious.

I've given him some sub-cut Hartmanns and some infacol, and he has probiotcs in his water, but I'm not sure what else I can safely give a baby rabbit. Can I give a 12 week old metacam or zantac?

We have a vets appt first thing tomorrow btw

Last edited:
Aaw, we are not very good so far, we dont know too much about poorly baby buns and medicines but im sure someone will be along soon who can really help you.
In the mean time, lots and lots of vibes for the poor little mite. I hope h is on the mend now

We have a new arrival at the sanctuary this evening...a very poorly 12 week old baby bunny. He's very skinny and has awful diarrhoea. At the moment he's hunched up and looking rather unhappy. He is drinking but has only had a nibble on food, but quickly loses interest like he finds it difficult to eat. The other babies in the litter are apparently all fine, so its not contagious.

I've given him some sub-cut Hartmanns and some infacol, and he has probiotcs in his water, but I'm not sure what else I can safely give a baby rabbit. Can I give a 12 week old metacam or zantac?

We have a vets appt first thing tomorrow btw

Hi, if the baby bunny has diarrhoea I wouldn't give Zantac, he needs Questran and/or Buscapan do you have any?, can you get him to an emergency vet? or are you able to speak to your vet to get advice and meds? I have given babies Metacam but obviously by weight

Is there anything I can do to help?

Unfortunately I don't think the emergency vets would have a clue about treating other than what I've already done :(

I don't have questran or buscopan unfortunately

Oh dear, it's awful when you need your vet and they aren't on duty, you could try fibreplex and plenty of fluids

Can you get vet help in the morning?

Hope your little one is a fighter and made it through the night! Sending vibes that he picks up after his vet visit!

Back