• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis time of year

weeble

I know Donna has mentioned it before but it really does seem to be a seasonal thing for otherwise healthy buns. Bella thought about it a couple of days ago and Rykats bun Opal had an episode last night (she is ok now thank goodness). No point to this just thinking 'out loud'

I seem to have two stasis buns at the mo :(

Happened around this time last year that Hazel-Rah had stasis too.

Alvin was at his worst dec/jan/feb 2010 i really think its something to do with our rubbish winters not knowing if they are going to be cold or sunny :roll: we never know whether to take a coat or not, how are buns supposed to keep up themselves :lol:

must bump the poll i did last year to see what month seems to be worst for stasis

It is this time of the year when it is important for people to remember that if they are putting rabbits who have not been on grass over winter to to build up slowly the time that rabbits are out on grass to help reduce the chance of stasis which can occur by suddenly altering the diet of some rabbits.

Sorry to sound ignorant but until I joined I had never heard of statis, what is it exactly ? Have I been lucky that in 12 years my bunnies (5) over the years have never had it ?

No dietary changes for Eric and he never goes out but I'm really struggling tonight to get him to eat.

Sorry to sound ignorant but until I joined I had never heard of statis, what is it exactly ? Have I been lucky that in 12 years my bunnies (5) over the years have never had it ?

It's basically when they stop eating for some reason and their digestive system starts to shut down. That's how I understand it anyway. I believe the the longer it goes on the more the food in the stomach gets dehydrated and turns into a mass in the stomach which requires dangerous surgery.

Pie's episodes are usually always over November to February.
It gets worse when she is moulting too.

I had the beginning of an episode yesterday with a foster bun. He did no droppings over 4hours o took him to the vet and have been syringe feeding him.

Clover has been to the vets tonight - 3 blades of grass and he had bellyache :(

He's started nibbling again now, thank goodness.

He had 2 blades last week and was fine, but I guess the grass is richer this week with the sun and warmer weather.

Back