PDA

View Full Version : My Betta fishy

Mrs Ord
25-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Here is my new boy :D I'm so in love with him and for a fish he is very social he swims up to me and circles my hand if its in the water. I've only had him since Wednesday so its pretty amazing. I'm struggling for a name though I've looked in to Cambodian names as thats where they originate from but most of them are hard to pronounce. I quite like the river Tonle Sap I'd pronounce in Ton-Lee. Not stuck on it yet but its growing. Anyway here he is

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af7/MrsOrd/25022011252.jpg
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af7/MrsOrd/25022011250.jpg
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af7/MrsOrd/25022011247.jpg
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af7/MrsOrd/25022011246.jpg
Looking right at the camera what a poser :love:
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af7/MrsOrd/25022011248.jpg

Nicola1
25-02-2011, 04:28 PM
:love::love::love: he is lovely!

Loxxy
25-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Oh he's very handsome! Fish are surprisingly very sociable pets - my two fancy goldfish are always interacting, especially with me because they know who feeds them!

Does he have to live on his own?

jackiestone
25-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Call him Philip or paul or Martin :wave::wave::wave: He is very beautiful :wave:

Mrs Ord
25-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Call him Philip or paul or Martin :wave::wave::wave: He is very beautiful :wave:

Why those names :lol: OH is called Paul he needs a fancy name to go with his fancy pants :love: Thanks for the suggestions though :D

puppyjess12345
25-02-2011, 04:31 PM
He's very pretty :love: I had a betta but it died so I got goldfish instead :lol:

Mrs Ord
25-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Tried goldfish we can't manage to keep them alive :shock:

Nicola1
25-02-2011, 04:53 PM

me neither it's impossible :shock:

Liz47
25-02-2011, 04:53 PM
He's lovely :love: So that's what those fish are called!! I saw two yesterday and really wanted one, there was a blue and a red one. Do they have to be kept on their own or can you keep them in pairs? Are they easy to care for? :)

happysaz133
25-02-2011, 05:24 PM
He's gorgeous! I have one a similar colour but a crowntail. His name is Phoenix :wave:

Another name I liked was Paikea, which is another word for the Whale Chief in Maori.

Nicola1
25-02-2011, 05:58 PM
He's lovely :love: So that's what those fish are called!! I saw two yesterday and really wanted one, there was a blue and a red one. Do they have to be kept on their own or can you keep them in pairs? Are they easy to care for? :)

I think they are fighter fish so you can't keep them in pairs :? could be wrong though

are they tropical or coldwater? :wave:

Amethyst
25-02-2011, 06:04 PM
You definitely can NOT keep them in pairs as they will kill each other. :shock: They're also not that great with most other species of fish so most of the time it's best to keep them alone. Even a fish separated by a divider or in an adjacent tank can stress them out as they keep "flaring" in display to warn them off. Even the males and females have to be introduced very gradually before mating or they might injure one another!

Bettas are tropical fish who require a heater and filter in their tank. The temperature should be around 79 degrees F (26 degrees C) and contrary to popular belief do not live in muddy puddles in the wild (an excuse to keep them in tiny tanks). They live in rice paddies so a minimum of 2 gallons is recommended, 5 gallons being preferable. My tank is 10 gallons and is currently being "cycled" (a process which cultivates good bacteria to help keep the water clean) so once that's completed I will be getting a betta too!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/179840_10150142247990240_738200239_8332088_1939715 _n.jpg

I love your fishy, he's just gorgeous! :love: I was thinking about Japanese or Balinese names for my guy, but I'll have to wait until I get him before I decide on a name. :)

AMETHYST

Hop.Skip.Jump
25-02-2011, 06:21 PM

My goldfish is 6 will be 7 sometime summer this year..

Mrs Ord
25-02-2011, 06:53 PM
My goldfish is 6 will be 7 sometime summer this year..

When i was little we had one for about the same amount of time. He was in a little tank with no filter. He got pretty big too. When he died my mam sat up with him all night talking to him and cried her eyes out when he finally gave up. Bless her. I won him at the fair. Travelling fish are well hard :lol:

Boudicca
25-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Awe I love these fishys your little man is very handsome! I feel so sorry for them being sold in tiny bowls and having to live on their own (even it is for their own good!).

Nicola1
25-02-2011, 06:55 PM
When i was little we had one for about the same amount of time. He was in a little tank with no filter. He got pretty big too. When he died my mam sat up with him all night talking to him and cried her eyes out when he finally gave up. Bless her. I won him at the fair. Travelling fish are well hard :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I had two from a fair who got kept in a little no filter bowl for years.

CinnamonAndNutmeg!
25-02-2011, 06:57 PM
He is beautiful!
:love::love:

Mrs Ord
25-02-2011, 07:02 PM
He's in with neons and a shrip. He and the shimp have scranned a neon :shock:

William
25-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Lovely blue betta!

I think they are fighter fish so you can't keep them in pairs :? could be wrong though

definitely not pairs or any males together but (experienced, wouldn't recommend it to first time owners) you can have a sorority of females. You have to have at least 4, more being better, introduce them properly, have LOTS of plants and caves, watch their behavior, and have back up tanks in case of fighting. I plan on setting up a 10-20gal sorority :D

Liz47
25-02-2011, 07:37 PM
They are two in the same tank at the pet shop :( I would like one one day, I have my aquatic frogs and love watching them and cleaning them out etc. I read that even showing betta fish their reflections could get them flaring!

Loxxy
25-02-2011, 08:40 PM
My fantail goldfish are now getting on for 6 years too. They can go on for ages! We did lose some to start with, I think sometimes they don't take well to the transportation from shop to home maybe.

I always admire the betta fishes in the shop, they're gorgeous :love:

RubyTed
25-02-2011, 08:46 PM
He's very pretty :love: I had a betta but it died so I got goldfish instead :lol:

Did you put him in the same tank or get a new one?

That's one fancy fish! :love:

Amethyst
25-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Goldfish can live up to 25 years (but 10 is more common). Goldfish can grow up to 12 inches and with the minimum guideline of 1 inch of fish per gallon of water their tanks can get pretty big, pretty fast! I think a lot of people buy too small a tank or bowl, then either don't cycle the tank, clean out too infrequently or "shock" the fish by not equalising the water after cleaning and the fish can't cope. Pet store advice on this front is pretty terrible and I know that's the mistake we made with the goldfish I had as a child. :(

AMETHYST

William
25-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Goldfish actually need HUGE amounts of water and filtration. they're hardy but no fish can survive bad conditions. the 1 inch per gallon thing is actually a myth. not true at all, esp for goldfish. The single tailed (comets, common, shubs, etc) need a pond, not a tank. And fancy goldfish get as big as a grapefruit and 10" long. 55g min. for 3 full grown fancies. goldfish MUST have friends. Its really sad how so many people don't research for fish. I just want to face palm at some things where people obviously don't research, like yahoo answers. Though yahoo answers people are often very polite and thank me for my advice, but some are so stubborn. But it really irritates me when people will research for other animals and not fish. As if fish don't require care. :roll:

Liz47
25-02-2011, 09:02 PM
People think fish are easy options for pets :(