• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Betta fishy

Mrs Ord

Mama Doe
Here is my new boy :D I'm so in love with him and for a fish he is very social he swims up to me and circles my hand if its in the water. I've only had him since Wednesday so its pretty amazing. I'm struggling for a name though I've looked in to Cambodian names as thats where they originate from but most of them are hard to pronounce. I quite like the river Tonle Sap I'd pronounce in Ton-Lee. Not stuck on it yet but its growing. Anyway here he is

25022011252.jpg

25022011250.jpg

25022011247.jpg

25022011246.jpg

Looking right at the camera what a poser :love:
25022011248.jpg

Oh he's very handsome! Fish are surprisingly very sociable pets - my two fancy goldfish are always interacting, especially with me because they know who feeds them!

Does he have to live on his own?

He's lovely :love: So that's what those fish are called!! I saw two yesterday and really wanted one, there was a blue and a red one. Do they have to be kept on their own or can you keep them in pairs? Are they easy to care for? :)

He's gorgeous! I have one a similar colour but a crowntail. His name is Phoenix :wave:

Another name I liked was Paikea, which is another word for the Whale Chief in Maori.

He's lovely :love: So that's what those fish are called!! I saw two yesterday and really wanted one, there was a blue and a red one. Do they have to be kept on their own or can you keep them in pairs? Are they easy to care for? :)

I think they are fighter fish so you can't keep them in pairs :? could be wrong though

are they tropical or coldwater? :wave:

You definitely can NOT keep them in pairs as they will kill each other. :shock: They're also not that great with most other species of fish so most of the time it's best to keep them alone. Even a fish separated by a divider or in an adjacent tank can stress them out as they keep "flaring" in display to warn them off. Even the males and females have to be introduced very gradually before mating or they might injure one another!

Bettas are tropical fish who require a heater and filter in their tank. The temperature should be around 79 degrees F (26 degrees C) and contrary to popular belief do not live in muddy puddles in the wild (an excuse to keep them in tiny tanks). They live in rice paddies so a minimum of 2 gallons is recommended, 5 gallons being preferable. My tank is 10 gallons and is currently being "cycled" (a process which cultivates good bacteria to help keep the water clean) so once that's completed I will be getting a betta too!

179840_10150142247990240_738200239_8332088_1939715_n.jpg

I love your fishy, he's just gorgeous! :love: I was thinking about Japanese or Balinese names for my guy, but I'll have to wait until I get him before I decide on a name. :)

AMETHYST

Last edited:
My goldfish is 6 will be 7 sometime summer this year..

When i was little we had one for about the same amount of time. He was in a little tank with no filter. He got pretty big too. When he died my mam sat up with him all night talking to him and cried her eyes out when he finally gave up. Bless her. I won him at the fair. Travelling fish are well hard :lol:

Awe I love these fishys your little man is very handsome! I feel so sorry for them being sold in tiny bowls and having to live on their own (even it is for their own good!).

When i was little we had one for about the same amount of time. He was in a little tank with no filter. He got pretty big too. When he died my mam sat up with him all night talking to him and cried her eyes out when he finally gave up. Bless her. I won him at the fair. Travelling fish are well hard :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I had two from a fair who got kept in a little no filter bowl for years.

Lovely blue betta!

I think they are fighter fish so you can't keep them in pairs :? could be wrong though

definitely not pairs or any males together but (experienced, wouldn't recommend it to first time owners) you can have a sorority of females. You have to have at least 4, more being better, introduce them properly, have LOTS of plants and caves, watch their behavior, and have back up tanks in case of fighting. I plan on setting up a 10-20gal sorority :D

They are two in the same tank at the pet shop :( I would like one one day, I have my aquatic frogs and love watching them and cleaning them out etc. I read that even showing betta fish their reflections could get them flaring!

Back