• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies and house selling

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
Hi everyone! I havent been on for a while. Things in my bunny family are all good and everyone is happy and healthy.

At the mo we are trying to sell our house. We have found a house we like but cant put an offer in till we have one on ours. Anyway last weekend a couple came to view the house. When the estate agents phoned to find out if they had liked the house they said they did like it but the house rabbits had put them off.:( I dont really understand why its not as if they are included in the sale! O/H wants to have a 'chat' about it tonight. He doesnt want to lose buyers because of the bunnies.

I dont know what to suggest but I cannot and will not put them outside both for their physical health and my mental health.

Someone on here must have sold a house with house rabbits in it. What do you suggest? I need some ideas before O/H gets home.

Maybe when asked for feedback from the people who came round thats all they could think of to say,maybe they were not serious about house buying anyway and are hobby viewers.I know a lady and her daughter,they are not very nice but they view every house in the area that is owned by people who go to the school they work at
I would not worry about it,if they want your house and it is the right area then they will buy it regardless of your bunnies
Location,Location,Location not Rabbit,Rabbit,Rabbit
Good luck and dont let hubby talk you into putting the bunnies outside or stay at a friends :)

Ooh touchy subject! I live with my OH in his house, which has been on the Market for 2 years... We got our house bunnies in October and the whole downstairs needs redecorating now as they've eaten the wallpaper! Fortunately the house is overpriced so noone ever comes to look at it! :lol: but my OH does grumble about it a lot... I can't see any other reason why people would be put off though? :? Unless they thought it was smelly and the smell would be hard to get rid of, but I can't really see that either... All I can smell in our house is hay!! :lol:

:wave: i'm almost in the same position as you though i have outdoor buns. I do worry that the garden is a bit of a mess soemtimes with bits of hay etc around but tbh we haven't had any negative comments about it. But we haven't sold it either :roll:
I have found that people come up with the most bizarre/comical/pathetic reasons for not putting an offer in, so don't worry. if they really like your house, your buns won't put them off. Just make sure you've done everything you can in terms of presentation etc so you are not giving them reasons not to like it.

Only thing you can really do is have them caged when people come to visit. Once it gets warmer you could put them out in a run for the duration of the visit? Its getting warmer very quickly now.

From what I have been told you should de clutter, depersonalise and hide any evidence of pets, can you put the buns outside just for viewings?

Only things I can think of (if it's a genuine reason that put them off)

1. They thought pet smell would be permenant and hard to get rid of
2. They are allergic to fur and they think it might affect them when they move in
3. They are expecting to be blown away by a house dressed up to be 'showhouse' standards and pets don't fit into that

Don't take it to heart, I've seen people on those househunting shows who are put off a house because of the furniture :roll: and as has been said, many people are either just browsing or simply don't feel that spark/connection with the house and are just looking for a reason to decline putting an offer in :)

Only thing you can really do is have them caged when people come to visit. Once it gets warmer you could put them out in a run for the duration of the visit? Its getting warmer very quickly now.

This is what I would do personally.

Seems very odd, unless they think there is hidden damage from them, or that the rabbits will cause damage before the house sale goes through :?

The majority of people don't comprehend that rabbits can be clean, well trained house bunnies. When people see the Pretty Boys bedroom (my 2 indoor buns have a room for themselves), they are always surprised that it's clean and doesn't smell.

I would do as someone else has suggested and put them in a cage during viewings. It's only a temporary sacrifice for what will hopefully be a happy ending :)

If they really wanted to put an offer in the rabbits wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference, its probably the first thing they thought of when the estate agents rang that was negative. All I would say is I would personally cage them when people come to view as not everyone likes animals and make sure there is no 'poop' anywhere.

Apart from that its just waiting for the right people to come along and fall in love with your house. I have just bought a house which stinks and I mean stinks of dogs but I know once the carpet etc is taken out it will be fine (hopefully)

Someone said to me I would need to take Jenson out if I try to sell. I can't really see why.
I would probally take some of his stuff out and hide it in the boot of the car (I have several lots of hay, litter, carrier, etc) then bring it all back in after. And I would make sure his tray was tidy before they came (clean tray, neatish pile of hay). But he doesn't smell, and if there is no damage, who cares.

I may live to eat those words, but that's my current thoughts on it. I personally wouldn't be put off unless the place litterally stank of "animal".

Could you ask someone (or the estate agent) to give you honest views on what they think of your place?

We sold last year with 2 house rabbits and 3 chinchillas. Whenever there was a viewing the bunnies where in their hutch and I would put a throw over it. Had loads of viewings but no complaints. But after 2 months of no offers just before the viewing I would get the hutch up on to the huge wardrobes with the same throw. It was never for more than half an hour. I used to give them treats so my bunnies never bothered, they had something to enjoy.

The chinchillas are covered during the day so they can sleep so they didn't care either.

Only issue I ever had was when we viewed a place, and no kidding, the garden was full of HUGE absolutely HUGE dog turds. Too many to count. Mind you the house was dirty anyway.

Good luck.:wave:

what??

I don't get why they would be bothered what pets you have. You're not asking them to take them on. :?

If it keeps on being an issue, do you have a nearby friend or neighbour who you could take the buns to for viewings? Or pack away their indoor cage and put them in a garden run just temporarily?

Back