• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long?

kstevens7

Young Bun
So these last two days have been some of the most stressful and hectic I've experienced in a long time.

In three days, we've had three vet trips for Riley, the poor girl, - although I think this is partly due to my paranoia - and I think we're finally on the road to recovery . Fortunately we didn't have to pay for one of them. Granted it was at 2:30 in the morning and an absolute chore to get there, only to be turned away because she wasn't an 'emergency' case. Gah.

Yesterday we went to an RSPCA vet who really seemed to know what he was talking about (thank God) and even gave me the name of an excellent rabbit vet closer to me, so that's good news.

Anyway, Riley isn't dehydrated or apparently in much pain. I've been making her eat lots of Parsley to keep her hydrated. She got another shot of metoclopramide and some metacam, and we brought her home.

She had some hay and some pellets, as well as some more parsley and a drink of water. We've also been seeing increasing frequency of poos from her. They look like this:

IMG_0495.jpg

To me that looks a little better than before. What do you guys think? They aren't coming all the time, she seems to have bouts of doing this many, and then lying down again for a long while.

Anyway, I'm writing this because I was wondering how long it actually generally takes a rabbit to recover from G.I. stasis. None of the vets (we saw 2 and 2 nurses) seemed to think she was a particularly severe case, but she really just isn't herself. She just has a habit of looking a lot perkier when we go to the vet!

I'm still worried about her and feel like we're not out of danger yet. She still isn't her old self - not really running around nor is she really very interested in food.

Advice please?

Aw sorry this was missed. How is she doing now?
I have found when boo goes into stasis she will eat pretty much all of her poo's. Not sure why it must be easier on her tummy I guess. I always find kale works a treat with mine if they aren't eating and we tend to give a bowl of water with critical care in it which helps a lot too.

I don't give my rabbits metacloprimide as I was told it makes the gut contact more making it more painful for the bun. I use the above and syringe feed watery musher up pellets and usually they pick right back up in a day or 2

I hope that's some help for you.

there was a thread earlier today - or maybe yesterday (all a blur to me atm as i have a non-eating bun too) and i'm sure someone said that up to a week for full recovery or even 2 weeks if it was a bad case.

It can take a good week for normal gut motility to return. It is often necessary for treatment (metoclopromide every 8 -12 hours, Ranitidine every 12 hours, Metacam every 24 hours) to be ongoing for a couple of days AFTER eating and pooing returns.

It looks as though Riley is on the road to recovery so I'd just try to keep her as well hydrated as possible. Lots of hay and exercise will help too, as will trying to re-establish her normal day-to-day routine. Stress can effect GI tract motility, so the security a routine gives will certainly be of benefit to her :)

Back