• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead and LionLops - life span

Hi
Just been pondering lately about the average life span of Lionheads x Lops.

In general, Eric and Ernie are reasonably healthy (although both have had stasis in the past) My vet said they are the healthiest Lionheads he has ever seen:D:D.
Honey however does have elongated tooth roots and a blocked tear duct, so i guess it is likely that her life may be shortened because of this (or am I wrong)

If you have or have ever owned this breed, how old are yours and if they have passed to the bridge how old were they when they died and was it a health issue or just a natural death?
Sorry if this is upsetting for anyone, I just don't have any idea if the Lionheads are known to have shorter lives.
Thank you.

Mine were four but were both in very good health. Never had any health problems at all, ever. So I've no idea how long they would have lived for.

i believe lionheads are known to be more sensitive.

I was just going to say this. There will obviously be healthy lionheads around, but my experiences with a variety of lionheads is that they are more vulnerable.

I have one lionlop and 3 lionhead fosters. All 9-10 months old (and another lionlop who doesn't have a mane), but all have had some very complicated problems as have the lionlop litter mates (with or without mane).

Molly was a lionhead x and had to be PTS at around 4 years for eye abscess and Buzz is probably around 4 years and seems to be perfectly healthy and still runs around like a nutter.

I have 1 lionhead x lop and she is the hardiest of all 6!! She only ever has to go to the vet for her vaccinations and she is 2 now!

She is also the grumpiest of all 6, don't know if that has anything to do with the breed? :roll:

Thank you for the responses.
I always assumed that they would live to about 10 years (as that is the sort of commitment you expect to have with healthy rabbits).
But I also had in the back of my mind that this particular breed might not live as long.:(:(
Eric and Ernie will be 3 in March and Honey will be 3 in August, so could they be middle-aged? Or even in Old age? I hope not:(:(

I hope they are around for many more years to come.

I hope so :)

You know what though? even if there isn't, that is no reflection on yours and how long they may live, so try not to focus or worry too much about it. Enjoy today :) Think about tomorrow when you get there.

Sorry - I don't want to upset anyone.:oops::oops: Just want to get an idea on how long my 3 are likey to be around for in reality.

Don't worry, although it is sad to think about I am interested in this too. Although you can never tell how long your bunnies will live for, hopefully a long time if cared for correctly :)

Don't worry, although it is sad to think about I am interested in this too. Although you can never tell how long your bunnies will live for, hopefully a long time if cared for correctly :)

Thank YOu xx
That is the key - give them the best of care and hope that they live free from illness and Pain.
If mine do pass at a young age, i want to know that I have done everything possible to make sure they have had a good life with me.
With regards to Honey, I guess she is my real worry, but she is a very happy and lively bun, so fingers crossed that with regular care of her eye, she stays for a long while yet.

Back