• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To all those who have buns who get stasis....

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
I am really sorry, I have never understood what the fuss was about until my wee Winnie went into stasis yesterday, it was horrible, I really thought I was going to lose her..... usually she is the best eater in the world but yesterday, she didnt even want a fenugreek crunchie or special hay.... she was lying down, flopping about, scretching and hunching up in ways I have never seen before... she didnt seem comfortable or have that much energy.

I was so scared!

To all those who have buns that have done this, or do, I am so sorry I havent thought much about it before!

^hugs^

Aww I am so sorry you have had to see this for yourself. Don't feel bad though, as it is the same with many things in life. You never know unless you experience it for yourself.
I hope Winnie is better soon. Bless her xx
All 3 of mine have had it in the past. It is so scarey isn't it.

Hugs to you and nose rubs for Winnie xxx

It's horrible isn't it. The first time is perhaps the worst as you don't know what to expect exactly or how their progress to recovery should or could be.

The first time Maisy was poorly and I took her to the emergency vets in the late evening (she'd been seen and medicated in the morning but relapsed later) I was sure I'd be calling in the morning to hear she hadn't made it but in fact I heard that she'd eaten everything laid before her overnight, had pooped normally, had a botty wash and was ready to come home to continue her recovery. Amazing what supportive care (sub-cut fluids, pain relief, fibre and gut mobilizers) can do. Since then she's had 2 more episodes of GI Stasis, one this last week - I know she needs to get help immediately and I know where she can get it, I am confident I can handle giving her meds when she comes home and I know what foods she is likely to eat as she recovers.

When she is in stasis I am always frightened at how lifeless she feels to the touch - cold and stiff and am amazed at how quickly she can be back to normal - this morning she was in for her meds and was considering jumping from the top of her carrier on to the worktop to get to the fenugreek crunchies!

My heart goes out to anyone experiencing this for the first time and thank heavens for RU!

It's horrid seeing them 'give up'. Smudge will just ignore everything and it's horrid. Thankfully he hasn't had an episode since Dec.

hope she;s feeling better today, i remember rosie she used to slide her self accross the floor, it was her way of massaging her tummy to try and help herself

hope she;s feeling better today, i remember rosie she used to slide her self accross the floor, it was her way of massaging her tummy to try and help herself

Really?!

Winni was 'flipping' onto her side and stretch a lot......her eyes looked so dark :cry:

Since shes recovered, she isnt wolfing food, but taking thinga slowly, focusing on hay and the occasional fenugreen crunchie or pellet, I havent dared to give them greens yet but they have had their dried leaves (blackberry and dandelion today).

Hi,
I knew it would be horrible and I knew I would be upset, but Jenson was poorly this week too, OMG so it was awful :cry:. I couldn't bear to see him like that, he didn't hop about to meet me, wouldn't take any food (normally he's frantic for it), not even a crunchie :cry:

I'm also grateful for RU. Because of this site I knew I couldn't hang about, as soon he rejected everything I was on the phone to the vet and had RU to help as I pressed redial to try and get through to the vets and when they kept him in, RU kept me company when I couldn't sleep (of all the times for my OH to have been away!).

I think he's recovering ok, he's eating everything! He's loving spring greens (they gave them to him to tempt him at the vets so I figured he would be ok, but I'm not giving too much) but not eating as much hay as usual, but then I've been feeding him more (little and often).
He is quite sleepy though. He's either excited or flopped out. We're off to the vets soon as they booked him a three day check.
Wish us luck.

I also would love to know what causes these problems.

How is Winnie today?

its :censored: horrible:( eirc's always been stasis-prone (like now:() but the bout essie had after her last dental, i have never ever seen such a lifeless bun. really scary.

must go give her some more nosey rubs as i've remembered how close i came to losing her.

then i'll try get eric to eat. again.

Wish us luck.

I also would love to know what causes these problems.

How is Winnie today?

Good luck at your check up :wave: Winnie is currently dozing but was munching hay 10 mins ago, shes not eating as much as Rimmi but she isnt doin those horrible stretches and hunches :( shes being a 'hen' like normal :)

Hope Jenson gets better soon, Im going to weigh her later to see if shes actually lost any weight.

its :censored: horrible:( eirc's always been stasis-prone (like now:() but the bout essie had after her last dental, i have never ever seen such a lifeless bun. really scary.

must go give her some more nosey rubs as i've remembered how close i came to losing her.

then i'll try get eric to eat. again.

:(

Give them both snuggles from me and tell Eric that he'll be grounded :no: if he doesnt eat!

Welcome to my world :(

I have to deal with Pie and her tummy issues at least once every 2 or 3 months. We thought we would lose her last week it was so bad :cry:

I hope Winter gets better very soon. It really is a horrid thing to witness, and you feel so helpless. Thats he worst thing about it. :(
Really hope this is a one-off for her. xx

worst thing about a prone bunny is you never know what you will come home to find or if its the one that will kill them.

today Alvin didnt come out buzzing as soon as i just walked into the room after a week of screwing with his routine feeding and me actually being home, heart sank and cold chill all up my back.. then i heard the buzzing phewwwwwwwwwww

of the two bunny illnesses i have encountered id rather have 100 heart trouble bunnies than 1 stasis bunny.

Good luck at your check up :wave: Winnie is currently dozing but was munching hay 10 mins ago, shes not eating as much as Rimmi but she isnt doin those horrible stretches and hunches :( shes being a 'hen' like normal :)

Hope Jenson gets better soon, Im going to weigh her later to see if shes actually lost any weight.

Hi, :wave: we're back.
Everything ok, checked his tummy and his weight and just need to keep an eye on him and keep going with the meds till it runs out (or if I'm completely happy with him).

I think he's sulking with me at the moment though, he didn't want to go and I've a scratch to prove it!

Jenson has been dozing more than usual but the vet just said that's fine so if Winnie being a "hen" is normal, sounds good to me too. :)

Oh (((hugs))) its horrible to see your bun in pain. I'm so glad your Winnie is feeling better and nomming now. I know how terrified and worried I was when mine have had this.

Back