• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rexes and Rain

weedug

Mama Doe
Is it OK for them to go out when the ground is wet? Or is there a higher chance it would make their hocks bad?

What sort of surface?

If its grass/soil and they already have probs I'd be worried about infection, but if its just a preventative measure I've found the softer ground seems to be better for them. I'm sure someone on here used to water the grass ever day on purpose to keep the ground soft for their rexes?

The run is on concrete, but I put down rubber matting and straw. I try to keep the run covered, but if it's raining hard the straw and matting gets wet. Just wondered if it was still ok.

No problems with the hocks so far.

I can't comment on the hocks, I think I remember prettylupin saying she put her bun outside as long as it wasn't pouring, but I think that was on grass.

One thing I will say is that Oidhche (our Rex) takes a lot longer to dry out than any other bun I've had in the past, so if it's actually raining I'd keep an eye on that side of things.

Edit: Found PL's comment
For exercise he had free range time on our lawn supervised and a pen for when we were out, soft grass as long as not soaking is an ideal substrate for exercise and I personally don't agree with restricting space for a sore hock bun. In my opinion this means that bun will spend more time sitting on his hocks doing nothing and less time moving about and keeping the blood and vital WBC to heal the skin flowing to the extremities.

I can't comment on the hocks, I think I remember prettylupin saying she put her bun outside as long as it wasn't pouring, but I think that was on grass.

One thing I will say is that Oidhche (our Rex) takes a lot longer to dry out than any other bun I've had in the past, so if it's actually raining I'd keep an eye on that side of things.

Edit: Found PL's comment

:wave: Thank you so much for finding that. That's pretty much what I've been doing, but just wanted to check, her being my first rex (a lovely foster).

Back