• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Antibiotics

Mrs Cullen

Alpha Buck
Bella was spayed two weeks ago and her recovery was great. Then last tue she picked the scab and had to be put on Antibiotics on Thursday. The Vet said on Sat to finish the course. However it's been a week now and her belly looks great and she has only a tiny scab. I seem to have enough Antibiotic left for another week. My question is do I carrie on giving her the Antibiotics or stop?

Your vet said to follow the course, so I would suggest doing that. If you're unsure what he meant by 'course', I would suggest calling the surgery and asking :)

Finish the course. The antibiotics are killing the bugs, which is why Bella's looking so much better, but if you stop the course early, there's a chance they won't be completely gone and will just multiply again, leaving you back at square one. Same as humans. :wave:

Bella was spayed two weeks ago and her recovery was great. Then last tue she picked the scab and had to be put on Antibiotics on Thursday. The Vet said on Sat to finish the course. However it's been a week now and her belly looks great and she has only a tiny scab. I seem to have enough Antibiotic left for another week. My question is do I carrie on giving her the Antibiotics or stop?

It is always important to complete the full course of abx as prescribed by your Vet unless the Rabbit develops adverse side effects. In that case you would need to contact the Vet again to seek his/her advice :)

Finish the said 'course' your vet prescribed. It may look great on the outside but you don't know what's happening underneath.
xxx

Thanks guys, I have looked on the bottle and its 15ml. She needs 0.6 twice a day. So that works out at 12 days, Its the 8th today. So I will carrie on till Wed. :)

Back