• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No more raisins replaced with fenugreek crunchies YUM YUM YUM

Can bunnies have raisins I thought they were too high in sugar.

She has them as a TREAT!, not everyday and only one at a time, I don't feed her great big handfuls of them:lol::lol:

Lola is a clever girl. :love: I was quite upset to find out the down side of raisins as Spenser had been getting Bunny Nature fruit salad, which contains them, quite regularly.:shock:

Grapes are also poisonous to dogs and cats though, yet are on the RWA list of safe fruits for rabbits. :? I would still limit the amount due to the sugar content though (as you've already said you do).

Lola is a very bright bunny indeed. :D

I have done a little research as to why grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs and whether that toxicity may be applicable to rabbits.

Moulds affect grapes with Aspergillus being the main mould. In turn these produce mycotoxins such as ochratoxin A, patulin, aflatoxin and citrinin. Moulds and mycotoxins are the main reason penicillin cannot be administered orally in rabbits. In many grapes and dried vine products penicillium is also present.

"Aflatoxins are potent carcinogens.
Patulin causes gastrointestinal problems, skin rashes, and is known to be mutagenic. This mycotoxin has been shown to be neurotoxic, immunotoxic, immunosuppressive, genotoxic, teratogenic and carcinogenic.
Citrinin has been shown to be hepato-nephrotoxic in a wide range of species."

Sorry to derail the lovely Lola's thread.

Hehe, clever bun!!
I feed my buns raisins as a very occasional treat, and they seem ok, they get maybe 1 or 2 every couple of weeks as they are very high in sugar.

Didn't realise they could be toxic so maybe they won't get any more

Just my personal opinion

Thanks for the advice Jane, Lola's raisins have been binned now and replaced with Fenugreek crunchies!! - Again only as a treat!!:wave:

AWWW!! Bless her! What a smart bunny! :love: :love: :love:

And beware of her and crunchies now, Pie knows where we put them (on the windowsill) and has attempted to get to them on numerous occasions! I swear it's like catnip for rabbits! :roll: :lol:

Just my personal opinion

Thanks for the advice Jane, Lola's raisins have been binned now and replaced with Fenugreek crunchies!! - Again only as a treat!!:wave:

You will probably find that you are mugged EVERY time you open the tub !!

Fenugreek Crunchies are highly addictive :lol: :lol:

You will probably find that you are mugged EVERY time you open the tub !!

I dont open the tub anymore now Lola has taught herself to do that, (Im hoping she will teach herself how to use the hoover next) :lol::lol::lol:

Back