• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need advice please.......

B3rnie69

Warren Scout
Right my big girl Heather has decided to stop eating :?
I have been on the phone several times today for advice and they have just advised me to carry on doing what I have been. She has had pain relief, fibreplex and some recovery food.

Now normally I would be straight to the vets before I get shouted at, but with Heather it is different due to the fact that she was given to me by a breeder friend (she had to cut her numbers due to a failing back problem) and there is a "possibility" she could be pregnant :shock:
I have been told that some does can go off their food 48 hours before kindling :?

Sooo basically need your advice on what to do, if this is the start of labour I obviously need to leave her be as much as possible, BUT if this is the start gi I obviously need to keep her eating. :(
At the moment I have put a bowl of nommy stuff into her enclosure and she also has a bowl of recovery food just incase it tempts her to start.

So shall I carry on with fibreplex, and getting recovery food into her, or shall I leave her be for a while and see what happens?

Help, I'm really at a loss as to what to do for the best :?

How long have you had her and when was she mated up ?

What have her poos been like today ?

Can you feel any movements in her uterus ?

No idea hun but I hope someone can offer you some advice soon

In the mean time try sending you lots of vibes for Heather xx

I agree with Jane. How long have you had her?

Also, has she shown any signs like plucking fur or making any sort of nest?

When did the breeder mate her up?

How long have you had her and when was she mated up ?

What have her poos been like today ?

Can you feel any movements in her uterus ?

I've had her 27 days now.

Not sure on the mating tbh

Her poo's have been minimal but very normal (as in shape and size)

I won't palpitate but yes after touching her sides gently she does have movement in there :?

ETA:- She made a nest after the first few days of being here, but nothing recently, if she is pregnant this will be her first litter and she is 2 years old...

Can you call your breeder friend and ask when she was mated up?

You have 8 days until you're in the all clear with a litter (as yuo probably know), but they could arriv imminently.

Kindling in total should take only 20 mins from start to finish (in which time she may also pluck fur for her nest). You'll probably need to keep a close eye tonight because, unless she has build a nest right now, she may be likely to scatter them.

ETA- if she is two and this is her first litter then your friend is incredibly irresponsible. This could be incredibly difficult for her. You will need a vets number on hand at all times because she may need help.

Can you call your breeder friend and ask when she was mated up?

You have 8 days until you're in the all clear with a litter (as yuo probably know), but they could arriv imminently.

Kindling in total should take only 20 mins from start to finish (in which time she may also pluck fur for her nest). You'll probably need to keep a close eye tonight because, unless she has build a nest right now, she may be likely to scatter them.

This is the thing, when Heather first made a nest I did ask if there was a possibility if she could be pregnant and I was told the last time she was mated was in December (I think I'm remembering that right), but there has been an incident in the past where one of the kids decided that they wanted to mate the rabbits :?

Do you think I should keep trying to get food into her, or leave her be?

This is the thing, when Heather first made a nest I did ask if there was a possibility if she could be pregnant and I was told the last time she was mated was in December (I think I'm remembering that right), but there has been an incident in the past where one of the kids decided that they wanted to mate the rabbits :?

Do you think I should keep trying to get food into her, or leave her be?

It might be then, that when she came, if she has been able to smell other rabbits, that she had a phantom.

And as for what you're actually asking, to be honest, I don't know. I think minimal stress is key, for both options.

if you provided a bunny buffet would she eat any of that?

It might be then, that when she came, if she has been able to smell other rabbits, that she had a phantom.

And as for what you're actually asking, to be honest, I don't know. I think minimal stress is key, for both options.

if you provided a bunny buffet would she eat any of that?

Already tried the bunny buffet :(
I have tried greens, carrots, dandelion leaves, grass and she has access bowl of recovery food just incase that tempts her and she just isn't interested.
Just at a loss what to do :?:?

I think you need to call and talk to your friend, and then, on the basis of nothing concrete suggesting pregnancy (if she tells you when she was last mated, etc- plus you can count back and ask her specifically about 24th-25th january), then presume she has something physical going on. I think that would be the most sensible thing to do unless you get any other evidence to suggest that you should do something different.

Id keep a close eye, Ive never bred rabbits but read somewhere that if a rabbit hasnt had a litter by a year old not to breed them, something to do with pelvic bones fusing??, may be totally wrong:?

Id try some leafy herbs and ring the vet again for advice.

Well after a trip to the emergency vets we are both convinced it is GI Stasis :(
So she is now on Gut stim (Metoclopromide), metacam, Fibreplex and I'm syringe feeding her recovery food.

So can I have nomming vibes please :cry:

Well done for being proactive. I really hope she starts eating soon. Please keep us updated.

This made me chuckle (thanks for making me smile after a very long night), I can't imagine being any other way, they are my babies so I'll do anything to make them feel better :oops:

She has just had some more recovery food and is now sleeping, still no interest in food herself tho :(

Back