• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Well that plan backfired!

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
As I got a new hutch, I offered my old double storey 6ft hutch to my collegue, who has 2 bunnies in a 4ft hutch. They are very well looked after bunnies, just the hutch size isn't right. I thought as her son is good with wood, he could replace the floor, and the buns would have a bigger home! :D

Totally backfired, she said she would take it, because now the buns can have a hutch each. :roll:

*stamps feet* NO NO NO NO NO! That was not meant to happen! :? Trying to explain how she would feel without a companion after having a friend for 2 years just didn't sink in. :( Bum.

oh dear, have you any leaflets you can give her on bunny advice and how they like companionship and separating them may upset ehm after soo long

Oh my word - why would anyone think of splitting them? :shock:

I feel you may have your work cut out for you there. :?

Could you not mention the psychological problems that will most probably happen?

Depression, loneliness, boredom resulting in hutch biting, fur pulling,
loss of appetite.......etc, etc, etc.

From what you have said there is NO postive reason as to separate the bunnies.

To me, it is mental cruelty to the buns. Their welfare in this sense is not being taken into account.

How would your friend like having such a thing done to her?

Have a look on the Rabbit Welfare Association website for a more eloquent explanation.

Good luck in hopefully changing your friend's mind.

Fingers crossed she will listen to sense. :?

I know all this...I mean, in some ways it may be a good thing, as they are 2 entire males, but still, they have been together a long time and do love each other...least with my hutch if they ever do fight they will have somewhere else to keep one.

I'll keep working on her, I can't even say the hutch was damaged or anything, as its at work too, so she sees it each day!

I know all this...I mean, in some ways it may be a good thing, as they are 2 entire males, but still, they have been together a long time and do love each other...least with my hutch if they ever do fight they will have somewhere else to keep one.

I'll keep working on her, I can't even say the hutch was damaged or anything, as its at work too, so she sees it each day!

Sending you some gentle persuasion vibes!!!!:lol::lol:

Or ask if she wants to swap hutches?

great idea! say you're thinking of getting guinea pigs or know someone that is, this way you assert 4ft isnt right for rabbits without offending her and you get the hutch so she cant separate them.

great idea! say you're thinking of getting guinea pigs or know someone that is, this way you assert 4ft isnt right for rabbits without offending her and you get the hutch so she cant separate them.

As it happens...I do actually need a 4ft hutch for one of the pigs! He's a bully so he's in a temp cage for the moment...genius!

That would work nicely!

Thanks everyone!

Update: She decided to keep them together in the 6ft hutch :D :D :D Apparently they are very happy, loving the bigger space!

Their old smaller hutch has had the doors taken off and put in the chicken shed, so they can use it.

Excellent all round! Now all I need to make everything perfect is my shed to arrive.

Back