• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Needed Please

Sligeach

Young Bun
I have done a search for something similar but need some advise now.... my wee bunny Henrik is not acting himself since I got home from work, at first I thought it was his back foot as he doesn't seem to want to walk much but he seems to have diarrahea. He is sitting in one position, won't walk anywhere and keeps on pooping, they are very wet, clumped together and very smelly. He hasn't eaten anything different that I know of but seems in pain. He is still eating/drinking but not his normal self, he won't budge from couch.

Does anyone think I should bring him to vets tomorrow if still persisting or does anyone have any advise of what I can do in the meantime. It is very sad to see him like this as he usually so lively

He needs to be seen by a Vet TONIGHT. Without examining him it is impossible to say what may be wrong.The soft faeces may be cecotrophs, not diarrhoea. But he should eat cecotrophs directly from his anus. Really the fact that he is obviously in pain is reason enough to seek prompt Veterinary treatment tonight.

Good luck.

I have done a search for something similar but need some advise now.... my wee bunny Henrik is not acting himself since I got home from work, at first I thought it was his back foot as he doesn't seem to want to walk much but he seems to have diarrahea. He is sitting in one position, won't walk anywhere and keeps on pooping, they are very wet, clumped together and very smelly. He hasn't eaten anything different that I know of but seems in pain. He is still eating/drinking but not his normal self, he won't budge from couch.

Does anyone think I should bring him to vets tomorrow if still persisting or does anyone have any advise of what I can do in the meantime. It is very sad to see him like this as he usually so lively

Unfortunately rabbits go downhill very quickly so best advice would be to get him to the vet tonight. Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Agree with above posts.. Sounds like hes in some pain and a vet visit is needed asap..
Good Luck... keep us posted

yes if its true diarriaahh and it sounds possible then he needs vets immediatly a rabbit ahas a very sensitive gut and can go into stasis or dehydration very quickly within 24hour period a bunny sadly can be dead without medical intervention, have you changed his diet at all or has he been under any undue stress that may have caused this? does he have access to clean fresh hay 24/7 and fresh water? he needs pain relief immediatly make sure he is warm also

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your advice. Got Henrik to the vets, she agreed that it looks like a dietry problem, she tested his heart, stomach, temperature, everything and all fine. She gave him an injection with pain relief and which would also help his gut pass anything and when leaving his was already moving around a lot more than he was. Just going to monitor him for next couple days but will be going straight back if no improvement. God it was tough, the poor wee thing, he looked so fragile but hopefully on the mend. Unfortunately I was feeding Henrik spinagh as part of his daily fruit intake but vet told me this is toxic, nobody had ever mentioned this to be before so more hay and pellets and less greens and fingers crossed he will be runnings rings around me soon.

Thanks again for all your help and thoughts xxx

Back