• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What age do buns have to be to be spayed/neutered

Trixielover

Mama Doe
What age cause I'm getting a boy and a girl bun (they will be bonded when I get them) and I'm worried about the girl getting pregnant. Any answers will be great please!!

Last edited:
If the girl is not spayed then you will need to keep them separated.

A boy can be neutered as soon as his bits drop (but some vets have their own requirements on top, like a specific weight or age), and he will be fertile for 6-8 weeks after a neuter.

A girl can be spayed at 4-5 months onwards, but again, vets may have their own requirements (such as a specific age, or weight).

They will need to be housed separately, and then rebonded back once the girl has been spayed and has recovered.

Thanx. Is it hard to re-bond them after being separated? And also what age do I need to get the girl done? :oops: Sorry for the questions. I don't usually trust advice from the internet as much as RU.

the vets say 6-8 weeks I would say to get the boy done and see if the girl needs it seeing the boys are cheeper. Ask the vet for more advice or you can always borrow my bunny book?

If you find yourself a vet good with rabbits, you can ask them specifically what their requirements are, but, like I said up there, it can be done from 4-5 months onwards (depending on the vet).

As for rebonding, that varies rabbits to rabbits, and they may not be rebondable, which is also something to bear in mind. Bonding ca be a hard and stressful process so you'll need to research into it very carefully.

the vets say 6-8 weeks I would say to get the boy done and see if the girl needs it seeing the boys are cheeper. Ask the vet for more advice or you can always borrow my bunny book?

Thanx. We're gonna ring the vets and could I borrow the 'bunny book' please!:D You're a REALLY good friend!!

Ok then. Do suggest taking them in at the same time then?

I think its important to get them both done as young as possible. If they are the same age this is unlikely to correlate with each other.

Do you have accommodation and space to house them separately if necessary? Especially if they don't rebond?

Back