• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can I feed Violet?

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I've offered hay, pellets, veg, fresh grass, dry herb/grass etc mix and critical care syringe food.

He's not interested in anything and won't swallow the syringe food. He is on metoclopramide and metacam at the mo.

Is there something else I can syringe feed? I need to get him eating :(

Try porridge oats.
They always seem to work for my buns.

Otherwise you can make them up with water and a little apple and banana. Cook, puree and leave to cool. Try syringing that. ;)

And good luck.

Similarly to Jenova's answer, I've used fine porridge mixed with a bit of soft, squishy pear (or pear baby food)- not too much fruit if bunny has tummy issues. I have also had success soaking excel, SS or protexin profibre pellets until they can be mashed with a fork and syringed- I find it easier to syringe than critical care or recovery and probably more palatable xx

does he have Ec because my bun hd recorvery food like that when she had Ec (she has still got it) hope you find something I dont know what you could feed her really sorry:( but I hope you find something:wave:

You could try grated apple, or chunks of pear - this seemed to help Starbuck when he had the start of stasis. he also had wet dandelions which seemed to help a lot and helped last time as well. Celery worked too.

Sending vibes for Violet xx

Did you try softening the pellets? This helped with Spenser when he was last off his food a bit. Sending nomming vibes for Violet - I do hope something tempts him soon.

He nibbled a bit of digestive biscuit, not particularly healthy for him but he's refusing everything else.

I don't have any pears, apples or bananas, today was food shopping day but there wasn't any time to go :(

Strange thing is he's been hopping about most of the day but still won't eat?? The vet checked inside his mouth and said there's no sores or anything going on inside his mouth, so there's no reason why he cant eat.

How about steaming some veg, and mashing, pureeing it?

Perhaps to lick something up from a bowl rather than having to chew things.

Could you deposit some mashed up veg on his paw, thus encouraging him to clean himself and also digest some food.?

Good luck.

I managed to get some critical care into him, he spat out most of it but some got in. He was quite lively. I've left him now, he's had all his meds and has loads of different food available. I have to give him more meds around 2am, but for now he's resting :)

Lets hope tomorrow will be a better day.

I try a fenugreek crunchie, a small piece of wholemeal bread, dandelion leaves, oats or pineapple juice syringed, if I need to encourage a bun to eat. If they won't eat any of those, I know I am in trouble:(

Back