• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

EC, Panacur and blood tests

thumpersmum

Warren Scout
If this is in the wrong section, sorry feel free to move it

Having buns with EC related issues it's something that I'm interested in. I know that many buns would test positive if they had the EC test even though they have no symptoms. If that is the case would they still test positive AFTER a 28 day course of Panacur?

Scenario
Bunny tested for EC - comes back positive with a high result
Bunny given 28 day course of panacur
6 weeks later re-tested for EC. Would you expect a negative result, a lower result or no change?

My understanding is that EC is carried in the urine of bunnies, and that panacur kills the spores, but the area bunnies have access needs to be disinfected as well to ensure spores in their environment are also eradicated. The blood tests only tell us that a bunny has been exposed at some point, not that the infection is active. Therefore if Panacur kills the spores, would the repeated subsequent blood tests then become negative, or would the bunny test positive forever?

Last edited:
If this is in the wrong section, sorry feel free to move it

Having buns with EC related issues it's something that I'm interested in. I know that many buns would test positive if they had the EC test even though they have no symptoms. If that is the case would they still test positive AFTER a 28 day course of Panacur?

Scenario
Bunny tested for EC - comes back positive with a high result
Bunny given 28 day course of panacur
6 weeks later re-tested for EC. Would you expect a negative result, a lower result or no change?

My understanding is that EC is carried in the urine of bunnies, and that panacur kills the spores, but the area bunnies have access needs to be disinfected as well to ensure spores in their environment are also eradicated. The blood tests only tell us that a bunny has been exposed at some point, not that the infection is active. Therefore if Panacur kills the spores, would the repeated subsequent blood tests then become negative, or would the bunny test positive forever?

My bunny has EC and has been on Panacur. I do not know about the blood tests because she didnt need them. One question which you might be able to answer my bun has done the 28 days but has still got a tilt and bobbing up and down

The antibody levels should decrease over time if infection is cleared. However it appears in rabbits this is not as straightforward as in other mammals and levels can fluctuate a little and take a longer time to decrease. After 6wks there may not be a significant decrease

The antibody levels should decrease over time if infection is cleared. However it appears in rabbits this is not as straightforward as in other mammals and levels can fluctuate a little and take a longer time to decrease. After 6wks there may not be a significant decrease

Ok, thank you for that. If we give a 28 day course, does that mean the infection is cleared and the bunny can no longer pass it to others, or will they remain carriers? If so for how long?

(sorry for all the questions)

Ok, thank you for that. If we give a 28 day course, does that mean the infection is cleared and the bunny can no longer pass it to others, or will they remain carriers? If so for how long?

(sorry for all the questions)

I dont think anyone can give you a definitive answer as there is still more questions than answers when it comes to EC

To try to avoid reinfection from ingesting EC spores excreted in the urine cleaning the environment with a 10% bleach solution on days 21 and 28 of treatment is advised. As excreted spores remain infective outside of the host for up to 4 week grass based runs are best avoided during treatment.

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

to add to Jane' post
Also bleach any brushes, dustpans, etc that you use to clean the rabbit/s out and remember if you pick bun up you can get spores on your clothes and hands..so washing them and using quarantine procedure is important

I dont think anyone can give you a definitive answer as there is still more questions than answers when it comes to EC

To try to avoid reinfection from ingesting EC spores excreted in the urine cleaning the environment with a 10% bleach solution on days 21 and 28 of treatment is advised. As excreted spores remain infective outside of the host for up to 4 week grass based runs are best avoided during treatment.

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

Thanks Jane, that link looks great. I've got some more questions now but I'm going to go and have a good look a that link and see if it answers them. In true Arnie fashion "I'll be back"......

Thanks Jane, that link looks great. I've got some more questions now but I'm going to go and have a good look a that link and see if it answers them. In true Arnie fashion "I'll be back"......

:shock:

*steps back from laptop......VERY SLOWLY*............

:shock:

:lol:

Back