• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tear duct trouble.

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Muffin has had tear duct issues for a while.
He has been tried on Baytril alongside Fucithulmic, and another eye cream (can't remember name, not Tiacil)

He has in the past had 3 conscious flushes (one every week) but this made no difference as just a week after each one he would need them done again.

Would it help to be put on a stronger abx to see if this makes an effect?

I have depocillin here, could this, in peoples experience, improve him at all?

I just hate to see him with a permanently white gunky eye :(

Please note: I would not self prescribe and will see a veterinarian prior to any medication, I am just asking while the bottle of depo I have here is in date! (if that makes sense?)

Im going on a 'not knowing anything' idea here Kris.

Have his teeth been checked? I mean, under GA via xray, for tooth root issues?

Something must be keeping those eyes runny.

Ginger had Cilomax eye drops for her watery eyes (Steroid based) and they cleared them up massively within 2 weeks.

He has had them checked in the past under GA for dental, but the next plan of action is on his next dental ( been a few months) to get a skull x-ray to see. :)

I have a big feeling it is teeth root related as he has had his incisors out, and had a little molar work done in the past. :(

I have a big feeling it is teeth root related as he has had his incisors out, and had a little molar work done in the past. :(

:( too many dental bunnies. Now i've been welcomed to that fold, i feel for everyone who has to go through it too.

I hope its something fixable Kris, i really do.

So do I :(

Waffle here was a dental bun having dentals every 4 weeks. His teeth roots were growing into his skull and would have ended piercing into his brain apparently. So morbid as it is, I am glad he passed away before that happened :cry:

So do I :(

Waffle here was a dental bun having dentals every 4 weeks. His teeth roots were growing into his skull and would have ended piercing into his brain apparently. So morbid as it is, I am glad he passed away before that happened :cry:

Thats what happened to Fuzzy, they also pierced the back of his eye and he had a massive bleed. It was one of the most distressing things I have seen at the end of a bunnies life :( I hate tooth roots, thats why i always encourage people to get them diagnosed early if there is a concern as they can cause so much horrendous damage :cry:

Diesel had lots of problems with infected tear ducts, loads of flushes and antib's etc.

When he finally had his incisors out the vet found he had a fistula from his tooth through the bone so infection was spreading from his jaw through to his nasal /tear duct (cant remember the fancy name!) .....it took a long while to clear the infection afterwards but his eye is better than ever now :)

If the eye is just runny it might be because the liquid that keeps the eye moist has nowhere to go. It would usually go down the tear duct but if that is blocked due to tooth issues it will just run out of the eye. Grimlock has permanently runny eyes for this reason. Most of the time they're not infected and just run. It's very easy for them to become infected as the tear duct is a constantly warm and moist environment, perfect for bacteria. The liquid or eye goo as I like to call it becomes whiter and noticeably smells when close.

First of all I think it's important to decide whether the eyes are actually infected or just running. Obviously x-rays will help here. Because there is no point dosing him up on antibiotics if there's nothing bacterial there.

If you and your vet decide it is infected then there are all sorts of routes to go down. Eye drops/ cream and oral antibiotics like baytril are what a vet would usually prescribe first. I've had good results with baytril for small eye infections. Grimlock's eyes are actually irritated more by some eye drops and they make his eye lids swell up. I started to use cream instead. But the best results have always come from depocillin injections. He was on them for his jaw abscesses and almost as a side effect his eyes cleared up completely. And then again for his nasal infection. When his eyes are particularly bad my vet will prescribe him the injections.

I just wanted to stress again, if the eye is permanently blocked it will run no matter what, infected or not. However, it may not be fully blocked or actually blocked by the infection. In this case the injections may stop it running completely.

Hope that helps.

Oh no, poor Muffin :( My Billy is about to have his first conscious flush, so hearing that Muffin has gone through three with no success is very worrying. :(

I hope you can get to the bottom of what's causing his troubles soon. Sending lots of vibes for Muffin xx

Back