• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how safe is the runaround system

JLG

Mama Doe
Anyone here have experience of it? I lock my buns up at night in their hutch but obviously this would be much better for them. We don't appear to have a fox problem in the area although we are quite rural (so I probably just haven't seen them) but I am quite wary, which is why I'm happier with them locked up. Just thinking with spring coming, it would be nice for them to be able to get out when they fancy it. The garden is totally secure in terms of buns but foxes could come over the fence as next door have just cut all their huge conifers down. Great for sunlight but bad for privacy/security.
I just want to know how secure is this system, as its not cheap.
Any experiences please?

No experience myself I am afraid, but I have looked at the system a couple of times and wondered the same thing. I will be watching your thread with interest.

Run around system...

What is the Run around system?
My hutches all have runs attached that are secure and my bunns come in and out as they like... Ive made them as fox proof as possible, no evidence of any visiting my garden which is also rural but id never trust that we wont ever get one comming and getting in.. My garden is well fenced but at night i wouldnt leave mine free totally..

Doesn't look too safe to me. Possibility of digging out and in. Also they look a flimsy and really over priced. Just my opinion though i'd be happy to be proved wrong if anyone uses this system.

Doesn't look too safe to me. Possibility of digging out and in. Also they look a flimsy and really over priced.

thats why I'm asking :D

Can't really be sure if it fixes in the ground or just sits on top? Doesn't look as though there is any mesh underneath though so digging out is a realistic problem.

Doesn't look too safe to me. Possibility of digging out and in. Also they look a flimsy and really over priced. Just my opinion though i'd be happy to be proved wrong if anyone uses this system.

This is what I would think about them too - I've never used one, but they don't look very secure to me.

I plan to use a Runaround tube and one of their doors but attached to a 'normal' 7x4ft run (I quite like the Happy Hutch ones) to make it more cost-effective.

I will be in control of when they have access to it though - don't think I'd want them in it when I'm not around... The tubes are pretty tough stuff and if you wanted to make them totally safe you could fix mesh over the top and use ground pegs. :D x

If I wanted to I could put mesh under the run with turf on top then too. Just a thought! :) xx

I have a Runaround tube in my set-up now...

RabbitShedFinished075.jpg

RabbitShedFinished077.jpg

...they love the tube and started using it straight away.

Thanks everyone, I've more or less decided I wouldn't get a wink of sleep if I tried this:roll:
Mine love tunnels so my thought now is to get a long length of flexible tunnel stuff and fix it like the runaround tubes have those green hatches from their hutch to their run. I think that might be safer.

dfhno7.jpg

This is what I have done with the runaround kit which I am really pleased with. As it is built inside a run it is very secure.

The metal boxes are as secure as a normal run which also could be dug into or rabbits dig out. The tube where it access the green 'flower' type fitting is pretty secure as it has 4 catches which if tightened up are very stiff to move.

Like anything you have to consider what you can do to make it secure.

I've used the runaround system to link my hutch to their run and then one run to another run. I'm really pleased with it :D.

My rabbits hutch is in the garage. There is then a runaround tunnel linking it to the outside through a hole in the garage wall (this goes into the first run). Then I have a second runaround tube that links the first run to the second run.

A short video of my set up is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sttnJ_SBr6k

I'm satisified with the security of the 'flowers' used to hold the tunnel in place and the tunnels themselves are really thick plastic. There is no possibility of digging out of the tubes and the advantage of the tubes is that they are flexible - so you can move the position of the run around your garden for maximum rabbit mowing of lawn :D

I've never had a problem with it except when I moved the second run and didn't check the flower was still secure (I then spent 20 mins chasing a rabbit around the garden in my pjs :oops:) - but that was entirely my fault.

My rabbits seem really happy with the set up and I'm happy because I know they've got space/fresh air but also somewhere warm and dry and the choice is theirs.

Thanks for the post and video - this is basically what I want to do lol so it's great to see it works. I also plan to use a tube to link their current aviary to the brick shed when we've cleared it all out so they have a nice big shed we can put a heater in for the winter. :)

Tbh, I've seen them up close at their display at the animal show ...

The metal the runs are made out of is very, very thick and extremely sturdy. My 35lb 2 year old sat on it without making so much as a dent!
I do think it is quite expensive, but I would put that down to the materials used rather than anything else.
I also like the 'skirting' round the edges of the panels and it seems to make it more secure.
I couldn't see most animals ripping through it... it'd be near impossible!
I could never afford such a set up but I was really impressed with the quality of the materials used and the obvious durability of it!
I'd personally feel much happier with my buns in one of their runs that 75% of the others I see out there!

Thanks for the post and video - this is basically what I want to do lol so it's great to see it works. I also plan to use a tube to link their current aviary to the brick shed when we've cleared it all out so they have a nice big shed we can put a heater in for the winter. :)

I'm glad it helped! Good luck with it - post some pictures when you do it!

Putting the rabbits in the garage was the best thing we ever did -both for them and us cleaning them out. They have a little heater in the garage and its great!

Back