• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Devestated

JamBenJakl

Young Bun
Hi

My little man suddenly died this morning, the Vet is unsure why but thinks it may have been something underlying and the shock of it finally killed him. I don't understand as he has never been unwell and was fine yesterday morning. I am so upset that he has gone and can't stop crying, as I had him from when he was 8 weeks old, he was 5 1/2yrs when he died this morning. Maybe it was just his time to go!

The question I have, is that I have a girl bunny who is 2 1/2yrs and is missing him terribly, they were like an old married couple and followed each other everywhere. The Vet has advised that we get her a new husband, but is it too soon??

I know I am grieving for my little man, but I really do not want her to be lonely and sad, and even worse she goes into shock and dies aswell.

Thank you for you help.

I can't offer advice regarding a new bond..

but just wanted to say sorry to hear about your bun and hope yourself and wife bun are doing ok.

xxx

I am really sorry for your loss, it's such a shock when it happens like that isn't it?

I don't think there any rules about when is a good time to get a new friend for your girlie bun. They don't grieve in the same way that we do, but you know her best and if she is missing the company then I would say do it as soon as you can. There are so many bunnies out in rescues that are looking for a forever home, and the rescues can help with the bonding process too.

Oh bless you, so sorry :cry: Regarding your other bun, I think it's better to try to re-bond as soon as possible (and whenever you're ready). xx

So sorry for your loss:(
As for getting another bun.. its obviously your decision but Ive been in the same position myself recently. One of my girls was left on her own after the passing of her partner.. although she carried on eating she looked very sad and lonley. Although I was grieving, I had to put her needs first and ended up going to rescue for a husbun for her... She changed overnight...
Hope it all turns out for you whatever you decide

Oh you poor thing :cry:

As someone rightly said, the bun will be better with a friend, but do it in your own time.

And I swear by the rescue route, Jill at Honey Bunnys did my bond for me, and now I have the most wonderful couple.

big hugs to you my friend, I am sure it hurts terribly :cry:

I am so sory for your loss :cry:
Sleep tight little bun xx

I think if you can cope with getting ehr a new partner it may be the best thing for her, she may get very depressed otherwise.

Thank you for your kind messages.

I have decided that we are going to get a new husband for her. I have made an appointment for Sat 5 March to see if we can match her up with someone. I know the new boy will never replace my little Jake, but Jake has gone to a better place, and my little girl needs to have company while she is here. I will let you know how we all get on.

It wasn't the same this morning waking up and him not being there demanding his breakfast. I keep blaming myself for not getting him to the Vets in time, maybe the could have saved him if I had. Even my cat is missing.

How will I ever get over this?

Time. That is the only answer I can give you hun.
No matter how much time passes you will always miss them but the pain associated with their passing will ease, it may take a long time but time is the answer.
When we lost Pippa, our hammy back in 2008, I can honestly say I am still not over loosing her but I do not feel as much pain now.

Devasted Update

I cannot believe what has happened!

We got a new friend for my little girl bun, after losing my little Jake man. We got him on Saturday from the RSPCA rescue centre.

He settled in really well and made himself quite at home (they are house bunnies). Ellie loved him, she couldn't keep her paws off him. Then this morning I went to check on him and he has died.

What have I done? I am devestated again, I can't believe I have lost another one. He was only 2 years old and was up to date on his vacinations and was healthy. Surely if it was an infection from Jake man (I scrubbed everything after he died!), wouldn't Ellie be ill or have died by now?

Could it purely be the shock of moving from the rescue centre to ours? He was outdoors there and had been there since Oct-10.

I don't know and am so upset.

You need to get a post mortem done on him.

Was he vaccinated about VHD? Was your other bunny? (ETA- sorry, you said he was uptodate. When was his VHD done?).

I'm really sorry you're going through this, although, I am surprised that you were rehomed another bunny so quickly after losing a bunny and not knowing why. That's not your fault or anything, that's something the RSPCA should have looked at.

How is Ellie doing?

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's awful to lose them anyway/anytime but I think especially shocking when they just go. I've been there quite a few times and feel for you x

Re: re-bonding, I lost Benji a few months ago and he left Opal, I didn't want her to be alone, so I left it a few days, she was fine, left it a bit longer, still fine, then she started to seem a bit down so I bonded her with my existing bun who was recently neutered and it's all been fine.

My advice would be to start looking for a suitable companion asap but give her lots of attention and see how she is then when you are ready to bring another bun in go for it.

She is moping around this morning. She looks very sad.

I don't know what to do about getting her a new friend, I am scared in case the same happens to a new bun. I know Ellie needs company though.

I have rung the RSPCA this morning but they have got surgery until 11am, I have got to ring them back then.

Percy's vaccination card was all up to date, and Ellie's is all up to date. I am so confused as to what could have happend to him. He was in the warm, he had plenty to eat and drink. He had the run of the house, (no access to wires or dangerous things!).

Percy's vaccination card was all up to date, and Ellie's is all up to date. I am so confused as to what could have happend to him. He was in the warm, he had plenty to eat and drink. He had the run of the house, (no access to wires or dangerous things!).

Sometimes it's just their time to go x

If Percy was vaccinated within the past 3 weeks with Cylap then he won't have been covered.

This may of course be a tragic coincidence, but equally, it might not be. It could be that it is something like VHD, potentially they might both have ingested something poisonous that Ellie doesn't eat, for example.

You need to put Percy's body somewhere cool. I would suggest getting your vet to do a PM because that will help you in a variety of ways (hopefully).

I definitely hear that you want to get Ellie a new friend, and I uderstand why, but right now you need to find out why Percy died before even considering taking on anymore.

I did put him in the garden on Sunday for a run around, do you think he could have eaten something that didn't agree with with him? There's Rosemary, Lavender, grass, heather and a Christmas Tree in the garden. Could one of these have killed him?

I am going to speak to the RSPCA after 11am so will let you know what they say.

It is very sad, that little boy was going to have such a spoilt life.

I can't believe he has gone after 2 days.

Its incredibly sad what you're dealing with, and obviously his death was completely premature, but maybe you can find some comfort in that before he died, he knew a home and he knew a wife and he knew love. That's a lot more than many bunnies get.

If the RSPCA won't do the PM for you (or sort it out), then you need to ensure that it gets done by someone else.

I will get a PM done, I will see if the RSPCA will do it, if not then ask my Vet.

It is even sadder because we picked up Jake's ashes last night. I will have two bunnies to bury now. I feel like I've been an awful mum to them.

Awwww no what a horrible terrible situation, I am so sorry for your losses :cry:
As suggested a PM is essential before bonding her with another boy. It could be that the deaths could be totally unrelated, but either way dont blame yourself.
Both boys sound like they were very happy and loved bunnies :love:

What a horrible situation! My condolences. Let us know what happens, and try not to blame yourself.

Back