• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How soon is too soon? :,(

Rachel_WD

Young Bun
Without going into too much detail, as I can't at the moment and I will do a tribute to him when I can, our beautiful Billy died last night.

That in itself was awful and unexpected but poor Millie was in the shed on her own for the first time all night. Just looking at her alone makes me cry.

I just need some opinions on when I should get her a new friend. Can it be too soon? I don't want her to be lonely.

Thanks

Thats such sad news :( Hugs x

I don't think that bunnies have the same longing for a lost loved one as we do, so i would say that when you are ready to get Millie a new friend, she would be ok with it. That is obviously assuming you find her someone she likes :)

I agree with Kermit as soon as you are ready. Have a look in your local rescue for a suitable friend so sorry for your loss

I've had 4 bunnies go the Bridge since I started caring for them 9 years ago and each one took another piece of my heart with them :(. About a week after Brody passed, leaving Totti on his own, Totti and my other pair went into boarding as my Mum was really poorly and subsequently passed away :(.

I was in no fit state to concentrate on bunnies but luckily Tracy (RNGP Welfare - where they were staying) knew Totti well and knew he wasn't coping with bereavement. She offered to bond them and after a shaky start, it worked and the rest is history.

When Rusty died, Spike was on his own and it was too soon after losing 12 1/2 year old Molly and I couldn't cope with another bun. So I brought Spike indoors and he was very happy on his own (but also very happy a little while later when the right bunny i.e. Kiki came along).

In your shoes, I'd be guided by Millie and would be looking for a companion if she's not coping on her own.

i'm sorry to hear your sad news:(

as others have said, use your instinct to judge when the time is right for you and millie. x

Thanks for the advice guys.

Lovabun - they certainly do take a piece of your heart. Sorry to hear of your experiences.

I'd get a bunny today if it made Millie happy, but don't want to rush anything. I have to put her needs first though, however hard it is for me. Nobun could replace Billy. Almost scared to ring our local rescue as that's where Billy was from. They might think I'm a bad mum :cry:

Sorry for your loss of Billy, poor Millie :( I agree, buns don't seem to have prolonged grief like ourselves, and she will likely be quite lonely without a companion.

Best of luck in your search. Perhaps you could give a home to a rescue bunny?

I didnt get a partner for Charlie for ages after Lily died as i was so upset. Looking back i wished i'd have done it sooner as he was clearly miserable. He developed mites and just looked so lost, in the end i took him to Kayj's and he bonded instantly with Jess. I think it depends on the rabbit. Sorry for your loss.:(

i am so sorry for your loss.

my Buddy was devastated when his mate Dorothy had to be put to sleep. he stopped eating and just sat in one place hardly bothering with anything. 2 days later i got Maisie as i was really worried over Bud. it was still a day or two before he was right again and took an interest in Maisie.

when Maisie died suddenly last july i got Blousy and Talullah the very same day as i didn't want him fretting or ill again. it sounds callous and i felt terrible replacing them so soon as i felt i'd not grieved for them myself properly, but i had to put Buddy first.

you never get over the loss, you just learn to live with it, thinking of you.

Aaaaw, the rescue won't think you are a bad mum. The may ask a few questions to find out if the illness was preventable e.g. if he had myxi and you hadn't vaccinated then they would probably need you to reassure them that you had learned from your mistakes or if a predator had got into their accommodation then they will want to ensure that you make it more secure before giving you another bun but I doubt very much they would refuse to home to you.

I don't think it's too soon either. I lost one of my buns a few weeks back on a Thursday and took my remaining bun to the rescue for bonding with his 2 new lady freinds on the Saturday. It worked out beautifully and they all get along like a house on fire.

Back