• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving meds - I did it!! How to give recovery food though?

Rodentranch

Alpha Buck
I'm so proud of me!

I just had to give Daisy her meds for the fist time since coming home and I managed it! my arms a bit scratched up (even through the jumper!) but I found a way to do it! :D I did end up with the first lot of fibreplex all over me but got it in the second time. I did get to try at the vets but it's different when you are on your own :oops:

One thing though I couldn't get the recovery food into the syringe as it kept blocking it - what am I doing wrong?

She did get the recovery food as I covered some parsley with it and she ate it that way. I'm not too bothered as she is eating really well anyway, but seeing as I was told to give it to her I think I should follow instructions.

Well done you, it's never an easy task! I had the same problem with my bun but he happily takes a dollop of fibre plex now that's sandwiched between two slices of carrott, he wont take it anyother way and like yourself I do get scratched a fair bit if I try to put it in his mouth.

You could try making it up a bit wetter, or cutting the end of the syringe off so the hole is bigger.

I always find it easier to have the bun on the floor between my legs, as that way they only have two escape roots. Up and forward.

Good luck:)

I had this trouble last week and I agree with hancy, between your legs whilst knealt down worked best for me... Possibly wrap bun up like a little old lady in a blanket if possible to stop kicks (swaddle them). Inbetween your legs because if bun can only move up and forward -- forward seems to be eliminated because bun won't move towards what it's trying to avoid.
Also with the recovery, I found it went thicker when it was cold - could you try adding a smidge of boiling water to the mix to soften it up and make it runnier? (obviously test with your little finger that it's not too hot before giving it your little one).

If syringe feeding is a problem then smear some of the food onto your bunnies paws and chest - it will get eaten when they clean themselves :)

This is great. Got a new foster bun last night called Oliver. This morning there was no poo in his dog crate and food had only been nibbled. Took him to vet who has given me syringe food and was going to post here for help with it.

Managed on feed with towel secured up over his back then wrapped tightly round. Loads went on the towel and his fur but hopefully that'll get eaten as he cleans himself.

Back