• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Silly vet, sexing wrong! Oh god, can't cope with more babies!!!!

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
Sorry haven't been on so much lately... Uni/buns/toddler/bday celebrations had been taking over!
Anyhoos... The buns we 'rescued' from Thirsk livestock auction... the little grey one and little white one (ones who looked like little lionheads) Well, when they had their check up, our vet was sure they were both girls. So they have been staying together for the past few weeks.
Noticed Tilly's (grey bun) bum fluff was getting a little long so popped her up on my knee to give it a trim (already had bits of hay and some wee stuck to it) gave her a good old clean up and noticed a teeny little lump on one side, next to her bits. Got worried, until I noticed a teeny lump on the other side. So, decided it may be best to check her bits just in case....

Tilly is not a she, Tilly is a he!!!!!

Checked Milly, crossing my fingers vet was wrong again...

Nope, Milly is most definetely NOT a he. Milly is most definetely a she!!!!

So, thanks to the arrangements of my already full house, Milly is staying in the indoor hutch and Tilly (who we'll have to rename) is free range.

Both were meant to be going to live with my mum next week... somehow I doubt that will be happening.... Off 'Tilly' will go and Milly shall stay here with me.

Pllleeeaasseeee send us some no pregnancy vibes! I feel sick at the thought of it!

Can you not emergency spay?

I doubt it... she's only around 13/14 weeks now :/ Otherwise, I'd be whisking her straight there tomorrow!

Saying that... when we got them, they were both estimated to be 9/10 weeks. I know buns can breed, well, like buns! And I know does can get pregnant pretty early... but what's the liklihood that she is?

Get an emergency spay :wave: if its not too late. Ask the vet and demand a discount as it was his fault. Then both buns can remain together :D I assume you/your mum would have gotten them neutered anyway, this just speeds up the process a bit :)

I doubt it... she's only around 13/14 weeks now :/ Otherwise, I'd be whisking her straight there tomorrow!

Saying that... when we got them, they were both estimated to be 9/10 weeks. I know buns can breed, well, like buns! And I know does can get pregnant pretty early... but what's the liklihood that she is?

I was told by a rescue that if a girly bun kept with male litter mates gets spayed at 15 weeks she will not be pregnant, or if she is it will be too early for the vet to even know.

EDIT: quote from email:
We get babies in litters neutered at 15/16 weeks. This way although the bucks are mature enough to get the does pregnant, the does are not mature enough to get pregnant. Or, if they were, it would be so early I don't expect a vet could see it.

Last edited:
I was told by a rescue that if a girly bun kept with male litter mates gets spayed at 15 weeks she will not be pregnant, or if she is it will be too early for the vet to even know.

EDIT: quote from email:
We get babies in litters neutered at 15/16 weeks. This way although the bucks are mature enough to get the does pregnant, the does are not mature enough to get pregnant. Or, if they were, it would be so early I don't expect a vet could see it.

I normally get my does done between 16 and 20 weeks dependant on weight/size etc.
They were going to be neutered anyway so won't make much of a difference tbh. Just means it's going to cost now rather than later... Hey ho...
Shall ring the vets tomorrow and see about getting an emergency spay!

Oh the stress of these bunnies...

I think the important thing is to ask a very rabbit savvy vet if they will spay her, rather than just summising that she is too young.

Only a vet will be able to tell you if she's healthy enough.

I think the important thing is to ask a very rabbit savvy vet if they will spay her, rather than just summising that she is too young.

Only a vet will be able to tell you if she's healthy enough.

That's what I'm going to do... Make an appointment and see how it goes and see what can be done.

But Gray, I'm so so so sorry to hear what's been going on at your end :( Massive huggles to you all xx

at least if she is too young for a spay Tilly should be old enough for a castrate and then they can be rebonded in 5 weeks or so if no babies :D I would have thought its unlikely she is pregnant that young although I know, not impossible. Hope it all goes ok X

If his testicles are dropped he can be speyed.. My does are done between 4/5 months .. Easier when younger.. Vets arnt always rabbit savy.. I taught myself how to sex after having a mis sex prob with mine.. Ive got it spot on with all my kits now.....Even helped the vet doin it.. Lol!

Back