• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trip to the vets for 2...

benkat

Warren Scout
:wave: Apologies in advance for the essay :oops:
Taking Sophie to the vets has been a regular thing (every 3 weeks) for about a year now. She was not very good at cleaning herself & had excess caecals, so has been having her bottom clipped regularly.
She also has dental issues - although so far we have avoided surgery.
She was also overweight, which my vet felt was a contributing factor to her problems - not being able to clean herself properly.

I reduced her pellet diet to virtually nothing & cut out sugary things such as carrots & apples. She has lost weight gradually, although isn't quite slimline just yet.

She hadn't been for a bottom clip since December - I've been keeping a close eye on her, and she's been doing pretty well in that area since the change in diet & gradual reduction in weight. Today was myxi jab day & both Sophie & her friend Rosie needed their nails clipping. My vet is very pleased with Sophie's weightloss & also her cleanliness :D However, her teeth may need some work.....

She has elongated tooth roots on her lower jaw & on her left side her teeth grow slightly sideways instead of vertically. At present Sophie is not experiencing any problems with eating hay etc so my vet has advised me to be vigilant & will look at her teeth again when I take her back for her bottom clipping next time....

I have know for a while that dental intervention would be likely at some point, but I do worry about her - does anyone have any advice? or words of reassurance for me?

xx

You will always worry when your bunny has dental treatment, but they feel so much better afterwards, and you will see a difference in their eating straight away :)

If possible send in her own litter tray, hay, food etc so that she feels 'at home' - I find pooping and eating has always resumed more quickly after the op with familiar objects in place :)

Thank you so much for your reply :) It's really appreciated.
What can I expect from a dental op? My bun is currently eating really well, but wondering if I should get her dental op done sooner rather than later...??? or is it a case of 'ongoing op's'? xx

Back