• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metal or Wooden Runs? POLL

Which Run?

• Total voters
:wave: Just wondering which runs you think are best. I'm 100% for wooden. Yes they can rot but I have had one of mine for over 6 years and still going strong, the other 2 are no where near dead either. :lol: I also think they look nicer and you can paint them to match your garden. I'm not too keen on the metal ones as many don't seem to have a secure top. :? Some do but many don't and I just don't like the look of them as they look like big metal cages. :lol: But... it's the size that matters. :D

So anyway, which runs are best??

Metal :) I find wooden runs ugly :lol: Plus as the hotel guests go past my garden, it has to be something discreet, and I find metal runs offer this. Plus they are very easy to store.

I prefer the wooden runs :)

I think they look better... :lol:

Mine is foldable and hasnt been out since the summer when george was a baby.
Though it has been chewed :roll: and they keep going under the cover so i dont have any idea how hadly chewed it is yet :shock: :lol: Will have to see when i can next get it out when its dry :)

I jhave wooden.. but I think I would prefer metal. The ones they sell though dont have what i would like from a run really (like an top that opens, smaller bar spacing etc)

I voted for wooden because some will rust if they aren't good quality. i think i might like metal best though because i like large dog kennel runs best. they're always made of metal and look nice. I don't like short small runs that i can't walk into.

I voted other as I like both for different reasons :)

I think wooden runs are more sturdy, secure and versatile so would definitely prefer to use one in a predator prone area and as a permanent run.

I would prefer to use a metal run though as a day/ occasional run as they're easiler to set up and move around. Don't like having just netting over the top but I only use the metal run when I know I'll be around to keep an eye out :)

I have both, 2 wooden ones that have a permanent space, and the folding metal pen type, I can move em about easier, which means I never have to use a lawn mower:lol:, plus if we are having a garden party they can be folded away for space...not that we actually need to do that often...Im up north, summer and garden parties only happen for 2 days a year :roll::lol:

I did this poll once lol. :p

The overall opinion was wooden was safer as it's heavier and the mesh is much smaller. I read one or two experiences of rabbits' getting stuck in the metal ones and it's put me right off them tbh. :?

I'm going to get a Happy Hutch one this year - 7x4ft I think. Just got to use one of those renewal type things for the lawn as it's really not looking good right now.....

The overall opinion was wooden was safer as it's heavier and the mesh is much smaller. I read one or two experiences of rabbits' getting stuck in the metal ones and it's put me right off them tbh. :?

I'm going to get a Happy Hutch one this year - 7x4ft I think. Just got to use one of those renewal type things for the lawn as it's really not looking good right now.....

Oh sorry I didn't know! :lol: Ahh glad I have wooden then. :p

I have two Trixie runs (black metal with two top openings) attached together. It is a very safe and sturdy arrangement and the top is very secure. I have it attached to the floor with metal hooks and carabiners so it is very safe. The only drawback is that it is not as tall as I would like. Olive could not be trusted with a wooden run.

That was with the Trixie square ones wasn't it. I remember measuring the gap between the bars of the Trixie panel ones (octagonal) and it's narrower than those so I feel a bit more secure with mine in those ones. Though like i say I never leave my unsupervised.

Oh don't worry - it's good to get as many opinions as possible about these things lol! ;) x

That was with the Trixie square ones wasn't it. I remember measuring the gap between the bars of the Trixie panel ones (octagonal) and it's narrower than those so I feel a bit more secure with mine in those ones. Though like i say I never leave my unsupervised.

Yes - it was the big silver metal ones - I think it was MissySJ that had a rabbit get stuck in one.

Back