• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tear Duct Infection U/D p27 Found the Cause!

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have any experience of tear duct infections? :wave:

Billy has had two weeks of Baytril, followed by two weeks of Tiacil eye drops, with no success. :(

The symptoms are: a clear discharge from his nose and the whites of his eyes are visible in the front corners. The vet said she can feel the infection in the tear duct.

The vet said the next step would be a tear duct flush. I believe this is done under GA, so would I be wise to request xrays of the tooth roots while he's under? Is there anything else I should be asking for?

His appointment is at 2pm tomorrow, so plenty of time to learn from the wisdom of RU so I can go in prepared!

Thanks in advance! :wave:

Last edited:
My Vet prefers to do tear duct flushes under GA as the duct is delicate and it can easily rupture if Bun should make a sudden movement.

I think it would be a good idea to get skull radiographs done.

I have had a couple of Rabbits who have had a tear duct infection and after surgery they were prescribed Depocillin injections, Fucithalmic and Metacam.

Neither had tooth root elongation and they both made a complete recovery :)

OK, that's great thanks. :wave:

He's on Metacam long term because of his leg amputation, currently 6 drops a day. Depocillin, that's an antibiotic, right? And Fucithalmic is the creamy eye drops in the orange tube, right? I'll mention them to the vet tomorrow.

OK, that's great thanks. :wave:

He's on Metacam long term because of his leg amputation, currently 6 drops a day. Depocillin, that's an antibiotic, right? And Fucithalmic is the creamy eye drops in the orange tube, right? I'll mention them to the vet tomorrow.

'Yes' to both questions. Good luck at the Vets :) xx

Hi helen, charlie had a really deep infection, firstly he had an tiacil drops they didnt work, then he had an eye flush and drops that didnt work, the 3rd time he had another eye flush, eye cream AND oral antibiotics and it worked like a dream, i also insisted he had complete tooth root xrays which thankfully came back normal :D

Anyway he has never had a runny eye since. xxx

Ah, that's great, thanks to both of you :wave:

It sounds like a three-pronged attack works best then. Flush, antibiotics and eye drops. I'll push for that with the vet. Hopefully that will be her suggestion anyway!

I really would like the xrays done too, just so we're sure we know what we're dealing with.

Sounds so simple right now! I'm sure the panic will set in once the GA is booked! :shock:

Hi
My Honey had her tear ducts flushed under GA last October and xrays done at same time to check teeth. Before this procedure she had drops for a week and they tried to flush her tear ducts while awake but with little success. Don't want to tempt fate by saying how she's been since - hope you can guess. Good luck!:wave:

Ah, that's great, thanks to both of you :wave:

It sounds like a three-pronged attack works best then. Flush, antibiotics and eye drops. I'll push for that with the vet. Hopefully that will be her suggestion anyway!

I really would like the xrays done too, just so we're sure we know what we're dealing with.

Sounds so simple right now! I'm sure the panic will set in once the GA is booked! :shock:

I was terrified too helen i insisted they do the xray because his little face was always sticky and i didnt want to keep putting him through any more anasthetic than we needed to, with the oral antibiotics and drops it seemed to do the trick, i was amazed his teeth roots were normal. xxx

I was terrified too helen i insisted they do the xray because his little face was always sticky and i didnt want to keep putting him through any more anasthetic than we needed to, with the oral antibiotics and drops it seemed to do the trick, i was amazed his teeth roots were normal. xxx

That's what I'm worried about. Last time he had a GA it took ages to get him eating again. :( I want eveything done under the one if possible, I don't want to end up having to take him back for another in two weeks time because we've missed something. :(

That's what I'm worried about. Last time he had a GA it took ages to get him eating again. :( I want eveything done under the one if possible, I don't want to end up having to take him back for another in two weeks time because we've missed something. :(

I know what you mean, ask them if you are really worried to do an xray then at least you will know if it is that, saves him going through it twice. xxx

We're back from the vets...

The vet thinks that since Billy is such a good boy, she could do a conscious tear duct flush :shock: which I guess is better than putting him through a GA.

She agreed that he would need eye drops and antibiotics after. Either Septrin (tastes like bananas apparently!) or she'll teach me how to give Depocillin injections :shock: depending on how much of the infection they think they've got rid of.

He's booked in for 2pm next Tuesday, and I've been told it'll take about half an hour.

So I think that's a good result! :)

We're back from the vets...

The vet thinks that since Billy is such a good boy, she could do a conscious tear duct flush :shock: which I guess is better than putting him through a GA.

She agreed that he would need eye drops and antibiotics after. Either Septrin (tastes like bananas apparently!) or she'll teach me how to give Depocillin injections :shock: depending on how much of the infection they think they've got rid of.

He's booked in for 2pm next Tuesday, and I've been told it'll take about half an hour.

So I think that's a good result! :)

Can it not be done before next Tuesday :?

Not by the rabbit savvy vet, she's booked up. I could get an earlier appointment with one of the non rabbit savvy vets though. I thought it would be best to wait for her... What do you think?

Do yuo mean NEXT tuesday, as in 8th Feb, or this tuesday coming, as in 1st Feb?

Not sure i'd want to wait that long, in all honesty as an infection can spread and get a lot worse in the space of over a week.

Do yuo mean NEXT tuesday, as in 8th Feb, or this tuesday coming, as in 1st Feb?

Not sure i'd want to wait that long, in all honesty as an infection can spread and get a lot worse in the space of over a week.

Oh, sorry! :oops: I meant Tuesday 1st March! D'oh! I agree, the 8th would be a very long wait!

She's the only rabbit vet covering quite a few branches, so she's very much in demand!

Oh, sorry! :oops: I meant Tuesday 1st March! D'oh! I agree, the 8th would be a very long wait!

She's the only rabbit vet covering quite a few branches, so she's very much in demand!

In which case, i'd say the 1st was fine, and i'm sure Jane thought the same as me, as your post made it sound like NEXT tuesday, not this Tuesday coming :)

Hope you have a good vet visit. I'd want a sedation if your bun is a wriggler at least for a Tear Duct flush i'd think, but i think it depends on the vet and the bun. Ginger had an attempted (long story) tear duct flush, totally conscious but she loves my vet and sits still beautifully and doesnt jump for anything.

In which case, i'd say the 1st was fine, and i'm sure Jane thought the same as me, as your post made it sound like NEXT tuesday, not this Tuesday coming :)

Hope you have a good vet visit. I'd want a sedation if your bun is a wriggler at least for a Tear Duct flush i'd think, but i think it depends on the vet and the bun. Ginger had an attempted (long story) tear duct flush, totally conscious but she loves my vet and sits still beautifully and doesnt jump for anything.

OK, cool. :)

He's not a wriggler. He's always so calm with the vet, and he's great at taking meds/eye drops at home too.

It sounds very painful and uncomfortable to me, I hope the local anaesthetic does the job. I guess it's still preferable to a GA. Half an hour of discomfort versus... :(

I didn't know Ginger had a tear duct flush... Is that on the Ginger thread? I must have missed that... Off to have a nosey...

OK, cool. :)

He's not a wriggler. He's always so calm with the vet, and he's great at taking meds/eye drops at home too.

It sounds very painful and uncomfortable to me, I hope the local anaesthetic does the job. I guess it's still preferable to a GA. Half an hour of discomfort versus... :(

I didn't know Ginger had a tear duct flush... Is that on the Ginger thread? I must have missed that... Off to have a nosey...

Its on there kind of. Basically just says she couldnt have it done, due to a deformity and she doesnt have the ability to have her tear ducts flushed as instead, she has a soft tissue mass.

She also had LA and she didnt move at all.

Its on there kind of. Basically just says she couldnt have it done, due to a deformity and she doesnt have the ability to have her tear ducts flushed as instead, she has a soft tissue mass.

She also had LA and she didnt move at all.

Oh poor Ginger :(

Interesting that the vet let you do a couple of test jabs with sterile water. I hope my vet suggests that, if we go down the Depocillin route. I've never injected a bun myself. I've noticed a few threads on giving injections at home, so I'll have to do some reading I think.

Back