• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How did you train your dog to be around rabbits?

catxx

Mama Doe
I don't have a dog and won't be in a position to have a dog for years. But Bob & Pat were dumped at a rescue because the previous owners got a dog that really bothered the rabbits. Just curious how those with dog & bunnies got them trained to behave, or did the dogs naturally take to not being bothered by small fluffy long eared monsters?

just natural :) we had buns first, then dogs so they grew up with the buns.

i'd take it slow with training and be careful, especially if its big. have the dog on a leash so you control it and dont let them interactive unless you're supervising and you're positive it won't hurt the bunnies.

if the rabbits are already established and the dog is a pup then they should have been fine as long as they had set clear rules about the dog not chasing the rabbit :?

We didnt train honey :? We just brought the bunny home and she didnt mind at all! Of course we introduce her to them first, but she is as good as gold :love:

She is good with all animals... apart from other dogs :? :lol: I think she might think we might replace her :shock: :lol:

I also always still make sure they are calm before I let the dogs out, if they aren't then they don't come into the back garden while the rabbits are out, quite simply. I also never leave the dogs outside alone with the rabbits either.

At first I tried to keep them away from each other, but this just fascinated the dogs more :roll:

My rabbits are fairly chillaxed about everything, so thy aren't skittish, which I think also contributes to the dogs being ok with them - if they aren't running, they don't need to be chased!

if the rabbits are already established and the dog is a pup then they should have been fine as long as they had set clear rules about the dog not chasing the rabbit :?

You don't need a puppy. We have 2 rescues 3 and 10 years old. 1 is a fairly recent rescue but they just have to be introduced slowly and cautiously. Any lurching forward and they have a firm 'no' and 'naughty' with me looking into her eyes. They are quick to learn but most good dog rescues will let you have a dog on trial. Admittedly both ours came here on trial and then I couldn't take them back and had decided that before I introduced them to all the animals.:oops: I trust our first rescue and let the buns run round with her in the house on their own but our latest rescue is still learning things here, bless her.

You don't need a puppy. We have 2 rescues 3 and 10 years old. 1 is a fairly recent rescue but they just have to be introduced slowly and cautiously. Any lurching forward and they have a firm 'no' and 'naughty' with me looking into her eyes. They are quick to learn but most good dog rescues will let you have a dog on trial. Admittedly both ours came here on trial and then I couldn't take them back and had decided that before I introduced them to all the animals.:oops: I trust our first rescue and let the buns run round with her in the house on their own but our latest rescue is still learning things here, bless her.

yeah, because they could develop a high prey drive. you couldn't tell whether they had a prey drive or not at 8 wks so it is probably safer to get a dog that you know is safe with small animals. mine were all gotten as puppies (not because of the other pets, we just wanted puppies) and only Teddy (yorkie) turned out to have a high prey drive later on so he's not allowed to interact with rabbits. he's thankfully fine with cats.

I introduced them under supervision, and the dog was immediately terrified of them and backed into a corner cringing...the rabbits chased her, caught her and weed on her, and she's continued being terrified of them ever since. (Although she thinks the chinchillas are her friends)

my nan has a yorkie we got her when she was 11months old from rescue, i already had bunnies thumper and mitzi, she was interested and then thought it would be good to chase thumoer, we where watching, anyway mitzi was having none of it to his beloved bunny companion so he ran after the doggy adn bit her on the bottom, she yelped and ran off :shock: :oops:

since then she never chased a rabbit ever again, and now she even thinks she;s a rabbit at times :lol:
she's really good with my rabbits, even when she has noticed i have a new rabbit and one has gone :cry: like when mowgli died and locksley came along and then rosie died and she met mabel at christmas

I introduced them under supervision, and the dog was immediately terrified of them and backed into a corner cringing...the rabbits chased her, caught her and weed on her, and she's continued being terrified of them ever since. (Although she thinks the chinchillas are her friends)

This made me laugh, but also feel bad for laughing!! Your poor dog :lol::(

One of my cats must think the rabbits are sexual predators... We got her as a kitten, and my (now) bridge bun was a frisky little fella, and they would play together, but he'd get carried away and start humping her - typical bloke :roll:

My two girlie buns i have now do not like her being on "their" lawn either and will chase her at full speed until she jumps onto the fence, although she does love to sneak into their hutch on occasion when they're free-ranging...

P1000201.jpg

do you need to have your bunnies and dog/s mixing?
I've just rehomed a dog with a high prey drive, she has never seen buns before but apparently was known to have chased cats and very small dogs, without being corrected. Previous owner accepted this as part of the breed. Whilst i agree to a certain extent, thats not to say you can't address some of it.
They have been introduced with buns in run and dog on lead. Buns were very good and sniffed dog through the mesh. Dog mostly politely sniffed back with low head and gently wagging tail, no real excitement. A couple of corrections to dog for thinking about lunging.
But I don't ever intend for them to be around together. If buns are out, dog is inside, with 2 doors between them and dog isn't unsupervised in garden.

Dogs n Rabbits

I have Rabbits and Jack russels... They have caught wild rabbits in the past, they now have bells on there collers to warn anything in the undergrowth to move... Im strict with my dogs so i can bring anything in my house and theres no problem.. My dogs see me as the pack leader so any other animal thats mine they treat with respect.. We have had funny times with one of my dogs who plays with the rabbits. My other dogs keep away because the rabbits chase them.. Id never leave them alone together though!.. As the saying goes ..When the cats away ....

Back