• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Afraid of people knocking on the door???

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Every time someone knocks on my door, Harvey goes mad, runs around the room in terror, then hides trembling in a corner. Even if it's someone he knows - when my dad and brother are round, once he's calmed down he climbs all over them and licks them.

I thought it was just the sound of cars but if a car pulls up outside and no one comes to the door he is fine and he goes mad if someone walks over then knocks on the door.

It isn't the loud noise either - there are fireworks outside every night at the minute and he just sits in his litter tray completely unphased by the noise.

He gets terrified at the vets as well and won't stay on the table, he jumps back into my arms. When he's scared he'll still let me pick up and calm him down, he doesn't struggle to get away or act frightened once I'm holding him.

Help please rabbit psychologists! I don't want my boy to be afraid!

I had the problem of opening Charlie bedroom door he got so scared he would throw himself into the door and really get stressed.
If you can get your O/H to knock on the door just a quiet knock and you reward harvey with treats, cuddles and lots of attention, let your O/H in and he gives him a treat.

Harvey will soon learn that a knock on the door is a noise in which you get a treat for:wave:

This is what I thought at first Sky-O but when one of the others thumps he doesn't go running around like that

It's understandable I suppose. Unfortunately the only way you can try and prevent him being scared is to let him get used to it if possible.

We have had Badge over a year and just now he thumped at the postman :roll: No idea why, he is a grumpy little imp!

This is what I thought at first Sky-O but when one of the others thumps he doesn't go running around like that

Generally speaking, with thumping they have different types of thumps, that go with different emotions and situations. With a real rabbit he will be able to read the rest of the situation, whereas with a knock maybe he isn't?

Generally speaking, with thumping they have different types of thumps, that go with different emotions and situations. With a real rabbit he will be able to read the rest of the situation, whereas with a knock maybe he isn't?

This is a good point :wave:

Boudicca - the doorbell idea is a good idea I might get a doorbell. I'm just worried he'll hurt himself

Back